loose 1500 antenna connector

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I have a Flex 1500 that I bought pre-release at Dayton. I have had a recurring problem with a loose antenna BNC connector. The first time, it was fixed gratis, then next time close to $100 bucks, and it is loose again. I talked last year at Dayton to the guy who designed the transceiver and he admitted that the solder area isn't big enough on the early units to adequately solder the connector. I would have hoped for a strong mechanical attachment. I now use an RG-58 jumper to the rig but still it is again loose and intermittent. Haas anyone else had this problem with their Flex 1500, or an I just especially cursed?
Photo of Doug Seyler

Doug Seyler

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of John

John

• 432 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I have not looked inside mine as yet, but I want to remove the BNC and replace it with a pl-259 if there is enough space. Has anyone got a pic of the inside mounting of the flex3000 bnc socket?
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 412 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Unfortunately that type if issue shows up on some modern transceivers as they get smaller and compact. I would consider a pigtail with a so239 on it like some of the ultra small dual ganders. A strain release would be required also. I have had two of the 1500's and no issue but could see where there could be. .
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 206 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
I used my 1500 for many years and never had an issue with the BNC connector.
I took many trips with the radio in my laptop computer carry-on bag; and as you may know TSA is not a very gentle inspecting your bags.
May I suggest that you do not over tighten the connector with so much un-necessary pressures. Or passed the nipples on the BNC receptor.
Photo of vectorizer

vectorizer

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
For the record, I also had a loose antenna BNC connector. I made it worse as a newbie by using a stiff jumper cable. Tried to "repair" it myself, and stuffed little pieces of paper in it to reduce juggling. Before I started taking the 1500 out on the road in VHF contests, I decided to send it back to Flex for a proper repair. Hasn't come loose again despite a lot more abuse and connecting/disconnecting than I did when I just used it at home. FWIW.
Photo of Doug Seyler

Doug Seyler

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, it's good to know that others have had the same problem. After three trips back to Flex, my connector is finally rock solid.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.