Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Looking for other Users Audio Settings for the Flex 1500 and the Heil PR-781 Mic

Hi I am using the Flex 1500 with my PR-781 Microphone and getting some good some not so good Audio Reports was wondering I some other users are using this setup and how they have the audio setup.. just looking for a good base to start my audio with...

Tnx, Frank.. N5WJ

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Frank, remember, how you sound to others is very subjective. Take an average from many contacts. See how many think your base or hi range needs correction, in what way?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    You can get a fair indication if you are badly out of balance by using the Spectrum display. Turn Average on and then watch your speech spectrum. Then you can balance your highs and lows, or add a little boost of bass or Treble while watching the display. Of course, it isn't as good as listening to yourself in another receiver, but especially when you have gotten used to what your voice looks like when you hear it, you can learn to get it "close" while watching it on the display.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am away from the rig right now. I will try to post some of my settings this evening or tomorrow in my day off.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Another thought, record yourself and play it back with the radio, the recording will sound very close to your transmit audio.
  • John n0snx
    John n0snx Member
    edited August 2015
    No  two voices sound the same....I would recommend going thru the setup as outlined by W1AEX here... http://www.w1aex.com/psdrgain/psdrgain.html
    After setting up you radio audio correctly then you can Play with the EQ... Just remember a little eq setting change can make a huge difference in your audio... It takes time to get it dialed in...If you have a group you talk with all the time, 1 or 2 of them will be your biggest help... Keep the helpers to a minimum because 10 different people will give you 10 different answers... Use who you trust when setting the EQ up....It is really hard to set up your own audio because most of us audiofiles hate our own voices....what I hear sounds terrible to me...hihi

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am posting my TX EQ, Bandwidth and DX/CPDR settings for my 1500 and Heil PR22 Mike, which has a pattern similar to the PR-781 (Perhaps not quite as much response on the extreme low end.)

NOTE:  You need to follow W1AEX's excellent tutorial, (previously posted in text and on YouTube)  in order to balance the various audio levels in the audio chain.  If you do not get this right, you will run the risk of over-driving any one of 5 or 6 stages of the rig and will have a badly distorted signal. 

In order to achieve maximum quality, set your TX bandwidth, preset your initial Find the basic settings, and then adjust your TX EQ to your initial settings.  Do this with the DX or CPDR settings turned OFF.  Then run through the different audio stages according to the W1AEX tutorial.

Listen to yourself in another receiver, or record yourself and check your signal.  If you make any changes to the bandwidth or TX EQ settings, then you much go through the audio chain again to make sure that the EQ changes have not begun over-driving any of the audio stages.

WHen this is done and you do not have ANY of the stages going past the 0 db point on the meter (preferably a little under, even on voice peaks)  Then and only then activate the DX or CPDR buttons.  Go easy on them.  I never run DX over about 3 or the CPDR over about 6.  Any more becomes too aggressive.

Here are some initial BW, EQ & DX/CPDR settings just to get you started.  The other settings will depend upon your own situation.  These are starting points only and will vary according to your own voice, preferences, or needs.

DX Profile - Bandwidth 200-2800 Hz.  (Alternative 165-2900 if you like a little broader signal)
                            DX ON at a level of 3  (after all other levels are set)
    TX EQ:
    imageimage

RAG CHEW Profile:  Bandwidth 65-3000  (100-2900 if you want a little more narrow response)
                                           CPDR ON at 6 (After all other levels are set.)
    TX EQ:

I hope this helps get you started.  Ultimately, this is a work of art that you have to paint yourself with feedback from others, and preferably by listening to your own signal on another receiver.

Good luck,

Ken - NM9P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.