Looking for Amplifier for working with my Flex 6300: suggestions are welcome!

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
My Ameritron 811 (one year old ) passed away today after working with my new flex 6300.....cause: unknow....reason why I`m began a search for a new one (don`t need more than 1K). I`ve been think in Acom 1010 & 1000; but after Ameritron I feel afraid of tubes and my flex...reason why I look to Acom 600S. Anyone knows if its easy to connect flex6300 and Acom 600s?
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 386 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 462 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes

What are the drive requirements of your 811 amplifier? Do you suppose you inadvertently over drove it? There has been a recent thread of having Flex set the power to lower values as a default. Several have complained that it defaults to 100 Watts and that might have been your problem. You might end up with the same problem with any other amplifier that requires less drive.

Jim, K6QE

Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 386 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
To tell the truth I guess it was that happened....I have had used for a year with my kenwood 480SAT with No problem....I connected to my flex today was chasing an AO150 (Spain 150years IARU)...and changed band to 17mts...and did not check RF power.....it will be good  "default" to 10 watts.....Now 'm looking new amplifier :-/
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 462 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes

When you get the 811 amp repaired, please let the group know what went wrong and the probable cause.

Jim

Photo of James Kennedy-WU5E

James Kennedy-WU5E

• 305 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes

I used a ALS-600S with my Flex 6500 the only I can't use to is the ARI-500 the amp works like a champ.

Jim

WU5E

Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 386 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Message to Jim Gilliam:  
Ameritron 811 amp fault was one of the three tubes, technician told me he think was a tube fail, not cause by overdrive it, he suggested to write to Ameritron....however I dont want to waste my time.....Ameritron its already fixed with all 3 brand new Taylor tubes 

Greetings 

George
YV5WZ
Venezuela
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 843 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 386 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
It requires 70 watts......could go to 100...but its not recommendable by manufacturer  
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4007 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
Yes, driving them at 100 Watts when they only need 70 is why I see so many really wide signals on the bands...

Accidents happen, as in your case, bu some folks do it on purpose because their meters say they are getting out better.

By the way, I hear good things about the ACom 1010, it is relatively forgiving, easy to tune, tolerates up to 3:1 SWR. I wish I had one. Maybe someday....
(Edited)
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 851 Posts
  • 175 Reply Likes
The Flex really shows non-linearity in a linear amplifier. The most notable of improper use is when the base of the signal spreads out on voice peaks. I see this problem on about half of all the signals on the various bands.
Photo of Joe, KQ1Q

Joe, KQ1Q

• 79 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I use an Elecraft KPA500 and matching KAT500 tuner with my 6300 and they work fine.  It is the 2nd picture on my QRZ page: http://www.qrz.com/lookup/kq1q
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 386 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Wow! Joe!! Amazing Pictures.....I saw you`re photographer too!...picture from your Flex, KPA500 and KAT500 is Awesome!!
I will take a look to Elecraft-..... Thanks for your suggestion....

George
YV5WZ
http://www.qrz.com/db/YV5WZ
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1065 Posts
  • 368 Reply Likes
It's amazing you are still alive after looking at the first picture,
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4007 Posts
  • 1232 Reply Likes
Lol, Burt! We have all let reason and safety go out the window a time or two when we were young and excited (read that foolish!) I managed to get my hand across the plate cap of a 2e26 tube, about 600 volts, when I was 16 years old. I have been living on borrowed time for the past 40 years. BTW, I ALWAYS double check the power supply twice before working on equipment, even with 12 volts!
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
@Joe, that is precisely my environment with my 6500.
We share very similar interests, I got emComm certified via the ARRL courses, and hold a commercial multi-engine license. I am very impressed with the 3D storm images...really nice!
(Edited)
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 386 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
So....Radio Ham Amateurs....Photography. ...and Aircraft Pilots....let's add motorcycles ... :)
Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
I sold my Honda 350 to a cop in Reston, VA in 1979. I think that was the last time I was on one. However, it wasn't the last time I thought about buying another.
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 386 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Royal Star 1300   ;-)
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 462 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes

Many hams are social pariahs but it looks like this one has his act together! Wonder if a hair transplant and new chopper would help me?

Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 525 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
I sold my TL-922A and ALS600 and am now running the ACOM 1000 with my 6300 one year now. VERY happy I did.

I have tune power set to 20watts and power out set to around 60 watts in each band profile otherwise the amp' s micro complains of overdriving when I tune. The Acom 1K will run 1200 watts but shines at 1000 watts all day any band any mode 6-160. 1K on RTTY is nice! Also will tune up to 3:1 SWR. Would do it again, price point is right for me any way.
Solid amp!
(Edited)
Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 622 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
I second the Elecraft KPA500 amp and KAT500 tuner.  It will literally turn your 6300 into a 500-watt transceiver.  Changing bands is effortless. 
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1065 Posts
  • 368 Reply Likes
The Acom 1000 won't work on 120v?
Photo of Cal Spreitzer - N3CAL

Cal Spreitzer - N3CAL

• 36 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I also use the Elecraft KPA500/KAT500.  Very effortless and forgiving. 
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 564 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Or, you could repair it? do the tube filaments light up?  Is there any B+ (high voltage) ?  A new transformer is not that expensive..

JM2C...73
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 386 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Tubes looked OK...but something went wrong an spark burned meters lights and led light turn off...i will send to repair...but don't wanna expose my flex on risk connecting it.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1065 Posts
  • 368 Reply Likes
What amp can handle AM? I have a TL-922 but no WARC bands.
(Edited)
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 645 Posts
  • 192 Reply Likes
I use a Yaesu Quadra. It works seamlessly and gives a solid 1K.

If I were looking today I would probably look hard at the Expert 1.3K-FA.

Jon...kf2e
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1052 Posts
  • 367 Reply Likes
Can they handle the duty cycle of AM?
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 645 Posts
  • 192 Reply Likes
The Quadra manual says it can do 500 watts continuous for 1 hour. It doesn't specifically mention AM.
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 462 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes

Generally speaking, a linear is capable of approximately 1/4 continuous power of a SSB linear. Also remember that the peak power of an AM signal is 4 times the average carrier signal for 100 percent modulation.

Jim

Photo of Kevin Mahoney

Kevin Mahoney

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I use both a Heathkit SB-200 and an SB-220 (not together obviously) with great results. 
Photo of Joe, KQ1Q

Joe, KQ1Q

• 79 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
The KPA500 manual says 500 watts key down for 10 min, followed by 5 min stand by, etc. For most applications that would work, but it might cramp the style for AMers to restrict a single transmission to only 10 minutes :) Of course if they could fit within 10 min they'd have plenty of time to cool down before the next transmission.
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 462 Posts
  • 71 Reply Likes

Key down with continuous carrier does not imply you can run 500 Watts on AM. For 100 percent modulation a carrier of 500 Watts key down would have to be able to run 2000 Watts peak power. If the amplifier was rated at 500 Watts was modulated at 100 percent there would be distortion. One has to keep the power to approximately 1/4 the rated key down power to avoid this distortion.

Jim

(Edited)
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1052 Posts
  • 367 Reply Likes
I am not an AMer that goes more than 10 minutes. I currently also have an IC2KL I run at 100 watts on AM but the fan sounds like a jet taking off
Photo of Joe, KQ1Q

Joe, KQ1Q

• 79 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Just to be clear, as Jim said due to the 4:1 ratio between AM PEP and carrier power, the unmodulated max key down for the KPA500 in AM might be about 125 watts. In AM you'd still be getting 500 watts on a fully modulated signal.  Due to the intermittent nature of that modulation, I'd expect the KPA500 could continue an AM phone transmission for quite a while -- certainly longer than 10 min. although I haven't see any spec.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1052 Posts
  • 367 Reply Likes
I bet at 2 minutes a fan would come on that sounds like a jet
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 747 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
The KPA500 has a VERY LOUD fan.  If you key up for any length of time on AM or any digital mode, the fan will kick into high and you can literally hear it all over the house!  It is obnoxious........  I'll be replacing mine sometime this year. 
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1052 Posts
  • 367 Reply Likes
Thanks for the update I hate fans.
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 564 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
If I had to start from scratch, I'd consider:

http://www.w6pql.com/1_kw_sspa_for_1_8-54_mhz.htm

73, w5xz, dan
Photo of David Altekruse

David Altekruse

• 18 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Amplifier: Transistor vs. Tube Question

Since I'm shopping for an amplifier and am looking at the ones mentioned here, I've been following this thread with great interest.  My major concern is the transistor vs. tube question that YV5WZ raised at the top.  I've had tube amplifiers in the past (including one I built from scratch in high school back in the early 1960's) and never damaged a tube.  

On the other hand, I've blown the output transistors in my 6300 twice.  (Fortunately it was under warranty both times.)  I don't know how much these transistors cost but FlexRadio support said they were very expensive.  (No one at FlexRadio seems to know what caused them to blow. FlexRadio finally said that their ATU was not able to deal with my antenna's reactance and suggested I buy an external ATU.  I bought the Palstar HF-Auto antenna tuner and haven't had any problems since.)  Furthermore, I can replace tubes myself but probably not the transistors.

As I see it an RF transistor amp has these advantages:  1) No warm up required, 2) usually have protective circuits, auto tuning, and auto band switching, 3) lower power consumption and generate less heat.

Tube RF amplifiers have the advantages of:  1) User replaceable tubes (Adcom's warning notwithstanding), 2) tubes can be purchased from several vendors, 3) cost per watt is lower, and 4) high power tube RF amplifier design is well tested with many decades of use.

As much as I'd like the instant-on and CAT features of the Adcom 600S, my fear of blowing output transistors and paying high repair costs have me leaning toward the similarly priced but higher power Adcom 1000.  Is my reasoning flawed?  Is there any data on high-power RF transistor vs. tube reliability and lifespan?
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1061 Posts
  • 368 Reply Likes
I have a Kenwood TL-922, instant on, and a IC2KL, my concern is duty cycle.
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 747 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Anyone know what the duty cycle of the TL-922 is?
Photo of Jim Best

Jim Best

• 46 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I used my TL-922 with my Flex 5000 and I'm using a Dentron MLA-2500 with my 6300.  Works dandy. Jim WU7G
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1061 Posts
  • 368 Reply Likes
I never felt it get warm
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 337 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
A friend and I have been using a ALS-600 with MRF150's for many years without any problems. On the other hand I ended up selling a AL-82 (3-500's) that was hardly used at all because the finals had to be replaced twice. Never heard of a 6300 having final problems so obviously everyone's experience varies.
Photo of David Altekruse

David Altekruse

• 18 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Flexradio support told me that 6xxx output transistor problems were rare.   I guess I just had very bad luck .... twice .... in one month.

Is there any reason to believe that today's final amplifier tubes are less reliable or don't last as long as tubes made several decades ago?  (I'm trying to avoid manufacturing location references.)  
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 337 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
In a word, yes.
Photo of Mike - W8MM

Mike - W8MM

• 189 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
How about a used Drake L-4B?

Instant-on
low-speed (quiet) blower
1500 PEP out (or more)
Cheap
Photo of David Altekruse

David Altekruse

• 18 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Drake L-4B:  No 160, 17, 12, or 6 meter bands.  I'd only miss 17M, though.
Photo of John n0snx

John n0snx

• 229 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes
The real bottom line is how much $$$$ do you want to spend.... I have ran tube amps from heathkit, dentron, Ameritron to Alpha...and in all the years I have never blown a tube....  I would not have an amp that didn't at least cover all the HF ham bands..( no offence to the boat anchors mentioned here).  There are lots of good amps out there to chose from.... rather than ask whats best and get 20 different answers...(from old boat anchors to brand new). chose three or four venders and do a good research of each one and narrow it down to 1...  IMHO that's the best thing to do....At least that is what I would do...
Photo of Bill N5TU

Bill N5TU

• 49 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
This is good advice.  :-)
73, Bill, N5TU
Photo of Steve Gw0gei

Steve Gw0gei

• 192 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
I have used an acom 1000 for five years on 6m and Hf contesting -lovely amp and well protected. Alpha 91b worked well too and its replacement (due to age worries) an OM power hf only amp works very well with my flex 6300. Having run a solid state 4/6m Gemini pa for last year with pro 3 and my flex 6300 on 4m and 6m I am sold on the idea of having a solid state main pa to cover 1.8mhz up to 4m . The SPE expert 1.3 kW which will do 4m as well as 6m and Hf is top of my list for a second amp as it also has a built in atu to protect the output. I use resonant antennas on all bands so do not have a atu in my flex 6300. The new offering from acom looks good and the even newer 4o3a solid state pa sounds like it might be a better option than the expert, assuming it integrates well with the forthcoming so2r box. If you opt for a solid state amp it's essential that it has the input protection to cut out and prevent damage - I have lost count of the times my flex and 4m Tvtr put more than 4w out into the 4m pa and tripped it and one occasion when antenna fault caused the swr protection to kick in. The expert 1.3 pa will serve my need for a 6 and 4m pa and also give me a band jumping instant on Hf amp as a multiplyer radio pa in a future so2r contesting set up. - unless the new 4o3a offering turns out to be better for the flex :-)
Steve gw0gei
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 386 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Thanks Steve for share your experience with us.....I appreciate it....Thank you! 
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 386 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
I 'd like to thanks to all who shares experience to answer my question. My Ameritron 811 it's at tech department for being fix.  I'll let you know what happened after repairing (Jim Gilliam), I guess Jim its right about high input cause 100W flex default  . About my decision, I already ordered an Elecraft Amplifier KPA500 & KAT500 Antenna Tuner (thanks to Joe, KQ1Q). I really like Acom A1000, but I`d rather stay away from tubes for awhile and elecraft solid state circuit, quality and automatic change band system match with my Flex for now....Thanks to all!  Hope find you on bands!   
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 851 Posts
  • 175 Reply Likes

I just acquired a new KPA500 and using it with a Palstar Auto. I love the linear. It gives me clean 500 Watts remotely at my cabin in Big Bear. Very very happy with it.

Jim, K6QE

Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 386 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
My Courier Service already received package from Elecraft, and it will be on its way to Venezuela on Tuesday...so I guess I`ll have to wait a week while it`s clear at local custom  
Photo of Jim Gilliam

Jim Gilliam

• 851 Posts
  • 175 Reply Likes
Maybe that will give you time to ease things over with the XYL.
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 386 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Hahahaha   I not much radio since Ameritron went down.....Cheers!!!
Photo of Raf

Raf

• 27 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Seen the Expert 1K-FA at Sals place connected to his 6300 and I don't think it gets better than that. It auto tunes with the radio, has auto antenna selection/switching and a host of other features which I love. He is hoping to get the 2K-FA after which I will grab the 1K-FA from him. :o)
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 386 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
yes,  I talked to people from Experts at TX...I liked 1K-FA ...but ATU limit is 3:1 SWR....And if SWR is over 3... amplifier go to fault and it can't be "by pass" .. I have a Hustler Vertical 6BTV and I have to fight with 9-10 SWR on 80 mts and its not really flat the curve on 15 mts ....beside I have to wait 3 weeks for amplifier comes from europe to USA...and the 2 more weeks  to Venezuela....plus that means Taxes to to enter USA...and Taxes to enter to Venezuela.....its cost will be around 6500 $ ...so 1K-FA  was not best deal for me.......by other side Elecraft  is proudly made at USA, its a really well positioned enterprise with lot of quality on its products....500watts  free of worries  of changed bands or high SWR.....Cheers!   
Photo of chris hartley (G3VjV)

chris hartley (G3VjV)

• 5 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'm using the 1K-FA with my 6300, seems a pretty good combination, it tunes my 18m/54ft wire antenna on all bands above 40m, I use a home-brew remote manual tuner on the lower bands.
 I live in the UK so the Expert is easy to purchase here.
Photo of YV5WZ

YV5WZ

• 386 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
Thank you Chris for you recommendation ...!!! Sadly 1K-FA was not my choice although I`m sure its amazing Amplifier....I went for Elecraft KPA500....I could tell It works wonderful 

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/atomic-combination-for-daily-flex-6300-use

Hope to see you on bands

George
YV5WZ
Photo of Don Stefanik

Don Stefanik

• 84 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes

I have an ALS600 that I run with my 756 Pro3. I am getting the Flex 6300 and am wondering what cable will I need to run the amp with the flex? Is it the same type of remote control cable I need. I also have the Ameritron ARB-704.

VA3KBC

Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 335 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
I have the same setup here, just use the same cable. The ARB-704 is not required however if you have it go ahead and use it, I don't and have no issues.
Photo of Don Stefanik

Don Stefanik

• 84 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Many thanks!!
VA3KBC