Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Looking for AMP suggestions for my 6600M I just ordered

2»

Answers

• David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited March 2018
    Had the second OM2500A in the country (when it used the GU84B). Plenty of power out but blower was like having a jet engine in the shack and the auto tune really works like the Alpha 87A. You need to get every x kHz in each band, tune, and save the settings. 

Had an Acom 2000a and loved it. That was true auto tune and worked great. Only thing I needed to do was change the RF connectors on the back as the center pins spread out over time.

Now moved to the Power Genius and am fortunate to be one of the testers. Easily does legal limit and as Tim stated it is a seamless 1500 watt remote station. I use an HF Auto for the G5RV for 40/80 as SWR on 80 is quite high. All other bands have resonant antennas.

Also have an SPE 1.3kfa and that amp works quite well. Integrates easily to the Flex. Only "issue" I have with the SPE is IMD starts to get a little "ratty" as you approach 1200 watts out. Running at 900 - 1000 watt range is very clean paired with my 6600.

With SPE now releasing their 1.5k, the Elecraft 1500 out, and soon the Power Genius, I would expect to see some 1.3k amps coming up on the used market.

Dave wo2x
  • Gordon, ve7on
    Gordon, ve7on Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    For the serious ham the only amp to consider (the new PGXL will probably be close) is a Dishtronix.

It weighs in at about 200 pounds and is built like a tank.  I run mine at 2K out on a regular basis, (the Canadian legal limit is 2250 PEP out).  Nothing else I have seen comes close in solid state.  There are more powerful tube amps out there but I'm not interested in those.

Gordon, ve7on

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Well they stopped making the Distronix amp so unless you see a rare sale ya outtta luck.
    I would have loved to have tried one of those out
    Peter

• Gordon, ve7on
    Gordon, ve7on Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Not so, Mike would be glad to make you one.  He has been working on a new model as of late but still very much alive and well.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Mike is planning to be at Dayton this year and recently posted a brief update on his project status at this link and pasted in below:

https://groups.io/g/PrometheusDX2400

Friends,

The new solid state has PLENTY of headroom on 160 and other bands, just like any Dishtronix amp. In fact the new chassis is intended to even build 5K solid states in.  I think it is safe to assume you’ll see 2K on 160 or more. However this isn’t a specification or a promise. This is just idle chat – for now.  I’m not going to promise when it is going to be out. Let’s hope by fall.

I finished last year’s big projects and expect to have engineering time available again for the tuner again sometime in April.

I’m going to be involved with some other things this year, starting with the process of the new Ten Tec factory.  I’ve selected the site and now have to go from there with the process.

You might see something new at the Alpha booth.  Maybe I will divulge more before Hamvention.  

73-Mike

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Gordon:
       I spoke to him on the phone nadda he told me ....so he won't make them. 
  • Varistor
    Varistor Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    2250W is for single side band emissions, CW is 750W.
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Are you saying the PGXL only puts out 750 watts on CW?  That isn't what they are saying ......????  Maybe your referring to another amp? Sorry if I got this confused.

• David Decoons, wo2x
    edited March 2018
    He is saying CW legal limit in Canada is 750 watts
  • Gordon, ve7on
    Gordon, ve7on Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thats what I said, 2250 pep.  CW is different.  Sure beats 1500 pep.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    For the serious ham the only amp to consider (the new PGXL will probably be close) is a Dishtronix.
    I wouldn't consider the current one. It uses older RF MOSFETs and not rugged LDMOS like the PGXL.

But what is the concern with the PG XL? I have one here and I can run 1500 watts all day all night, FT8, MSK144 etc. without breaking a sweat. Even runs full legal limit AM. It's not as heavy but that's just technological progress. We have newer, cleaner, heavy duty switching power supplies which considerably reduce the weight. There is also vapor chamber cooling. It also has MEffA to optimize cooling. 

BTW I say 1500W because I can't run higher legally. Ranko did run 2KW on one for a contest weekend.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Hi Ria,
    I don't have any concerns with the PG XL.  The Prometheus DX2400 is an older design, but it is rugged.  I've had mine since 2009 and was certainly the best SS amp available for many years.  

But If I didn't already have it I'd be looking at the PG XL now.  Mike is working on a new amp but it is probably a year off and I don't know much about it yet.   IMHO, It will probably be another really good one but likely to be more expensive than the PG XL. 

My DX2400 page: 
    http://www.nn4zz.com/Prometheus.htm

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Ria It’s the lack of availability and the moving timeline for delivery that is a prominent issue. I tried to buy a PGXL and of course I could not. Should they begin shipping the landscape will change. But at the moment it’s vapor hardware. I hope that changes very soon
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Probably a good idea since he is well sunk into the new amp and all competitors (except MFJ, who isn't at all in the same league) are using LDMOS. 
  • Neal Pollack, N6YFM
    Neal Pollack, N6YFM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    USB? My KPA500 only has serial port. Can you share more please on the configuration? I just got my Flex 6600. Thanks.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2018
    Check out http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/ 

Page 13 for KPA500/KAT500 configuration.

Dave wo2x

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Neal, the cable being talked about is an serial port to USB cable for connecting to the Flex and amp. If you call Elecraft and tell them what you are doing they will set you up with what you need.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Or as Dave pointed out, buy from Flex if that's an issue.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2018
    I didn't say to buy from Flex.

You can use a USB to serial cable from any vendor as long as it has a genuine FTDI chipset in it. The guide has the instructions for configuring the amp and Flex to work together.

Dave wo2x

• Rich - N5ZC
    Rich - N5ZC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    The KPA-500/KAT-500 is a great amp to mate with a Flex rig.  I've had mine connected to a Flex 6700 and awaiting a 6600.  

I also have a USB cable going from the rig to the KAT-500 so it follows along.  The USB cable that come with amp and the tuner is all you need, other than the null modem adapter.

Once connected and setup it's like having a 500 watt radio as the amp/tuner follow your vfo movements and your ready to go.

I set up a couple profiles for my 6600.  One set at the correct power levels to drive the amp to 500 watts and another for 100 watts when the amp is bypassed.  I also have a profile for band with 5 watts when I'm in the mood to operate qrp.

Rich - N5ZC

• Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Take a look at the Palstar LA-1K. LDMos rfsensing iincluding antenna switching. Rock solid, quiet (for an amp.  It puts out an honest 1kw on all bands.  It only requires an RCA to PTT on the amp to TX on the flex and a coax from the Flex to the amp.  How simple is that,  I have had several amps over the years inclusing the THP1.5 and the LA-1K is IMO the best of them all
  • Wayne
    Wayne Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Dont make an expensive mistake spend the money 1 time and get elecraft they are virtually indestructable you will pay more initially for it but you wont pay twice! Small footprint solid state instant rf sensing bandswitching, its like having a 600 or 1500 watt transceiver just turn it on and go in less than 15 seconds no tuning just hit your transmit and talk or cw. Best amp I ever used and small, the 1500w model now has an external power supply that sits on the floor while the kpa500 is one unit both the kpa1500 and kpa500 are physically the same size but the kpa1500 has the separated power supply and comes ready for 2kw use if the fcc ever approves that with just a firmware upgrade. Dont work for elecraft just know they are the best and US made and IN STOCK which is the best part.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    I am using a Palstar LA-1K. Band switching with just a quick push of the tune button. It is RF sensing. Don't need any USB cables with FTDI chip sets, etc. I use it with my HF auto. A 1 second push on the tune and amp switches bands and tuner is tuned and it is good to go.
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Rob,

If interested I have an SPE 1K-FA that I am probably going to be selling.  I used this with my flex for a about a year before getting the SPE 2K-FA.   Great little 1kw amp.  Rock solid.

If you want to chat about it, email me:  [email protected]

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.