Is there a fix for the lockup issue in the proposed service release V1.11. And if not (presumably because route cause has still not been found) has somebody who experiences the problem been used to test V2.0 to determine if the lockup problem carries over to V2.0
I am not familiar with the lock-up issue nor have I ever experienced it on any of several computers nor my iPad/iPhone. I own two 6500's. Have you tried different computers and experienced this same lock-up problem? It would make me think there is a glitch in your radio.
Maybe it is a heat issue on your radio. I wish I had followed this issue on other threads. Hope you get it resolved. Since it seems to be related to a few select radios, perhaps Flex would want to use your radio to help diagnose the problem to see why this occurs on a few select radios. Perhaps some of the chips are not up to spec and no software can fix this possible hardware problem.
Whenever a major feature is added to the software, like SmartLink, it touches many different areas in the code and through whitebox testing exposes weaknesses or issues we may have overlooked.
Through the course of adding the new feature, we address those areas and make fixes and optimizations along the way. We affectionately refer to this as "under the covers" fixes; things that have no visual component but improves stability and performance. It is the serendipity effect. This happened a lot when working on contesting enhancements in the past 2 minor releases.
We have done a lot of "under the covers" type work for 2.0. Recent alpha testing for 2.0 has provided some strong empirical evidence that one or a multiple of fixes implemented as part of the work done for SmartLink has greatly improved radio stability. It is partially due to this fact that after 2.0 is released, we will use its code as the basis for the 1.11 maintenance release. Essentially it will be 2.0 code fixes with the 2.0 specific features removed. Our expectation is that this will improve the stability of the radio and be a remedy for those experiencing periodic crashes. I anticipate that we'll share 1.11 beta releases with some who have reported the problem and are good candidates for testing.
If the crashes (not disconnects, which has a different problem pathology) continue for some, we'll reopen our investigations and dig a little deeper on those specific issues.
Tim - contrary to your statement this is how companies write new versions. One team keeps working on the old code so that the customer base stays loyal and the other team develops the new code incorporating the changes that the maintenance team finds and fixes if appropriate.
"... We'll then take the 2.0 code base and merge it into 1.x code base as 1.11 when 2.0 is released. This way, the 1.x customer receives a more comprehensive set of code fixes and improvements. In this particular case, it will take a little longer before we got a 1.11 fix out than is ideal, but it will be a better release than if it was released last month, as the fixes we implement today will be in the 1.11 code."
Not that I expect Flex to take my advice (or get an answer) but why not let the license manager decide what people have paid for and what they have not. Then you will truly not have to release two versions,just download the current version, put in your license ( or no license) and you will have the options you paid for and nothing more.
If you detect a change in my tone it is that I have reached my personal end of the rope after your post earlier today. It just took me right off my support of Flex pedestal and sent me to the why do I want to give this company one more dollar side of the fence. My 6500 is less than 4 months old, I have never complained about buying only to have it obsoleted two months later. My choice to buy that close to Dayton and I knew the risk, but to basically be put in the category of 'We'll get to you later' is an insult.
One last question that I do not expect to get a YES as an answer. Since you seem to have eradicated what is possibly the BUG are you willing to give a release date or reasonable window?
No promises (I can't make them anyway), just my observation. I also hope that they have definitely found and corrected the root cause.
...when using the Community always show respect to others regardless of their opinions. Give people the benefit of the doubt, just like you would if talking to them in person. Posts that include personal attacks, overtly negative comments, non-constructive criticism, falsehoods, defamation of character, libelous speech, or gratuitous profanity will be removed, as they do not contribute to the community atmosphere we want to maintain. Any pattern of poor behavior may result in losing your Community posting privileges.
Side note. Those multitudes of hams who have the same problem as you - it might just help Flex if they complained. Otherwise they simply accept what I think is a computer issue that might be solvable.
Out of curiosity... V1.09 works,
But V1.10 Locks Up occasionally in an irreproducible manner for a very few people.
(None of the many Alpha's have ever seen it and we get to test lots of buggy stuff)
Why do they not just revert to V1.09 and enjoy their radios until V2.0 is released and they can test to see if it solves their problems?
Perhaps I am missing something but I really do not understand the urgency to go from 1.09 to 1.10
My current 2015 Model S Tesla has 1 autodrive camera and surrounding sensors which enable Level 3 Auto-drive. -- it makes driving to LA painless...
2017 Model S Tesla has 8 cameras for Level 5 Autodrive.
While V8.2 Tesla Software can enable Level 5 Autopilot on 2017 models, my car is stuck at V8.1 on Level 3 because it lacks cameras to be fully autonomous
HOWEVER My Level 3 Autodrive Tesla is already far more advanced (really cool) than any other equivalent car on the road and while I would love Level 5 - my car wont do it..
I just have to wait until 2018 when my lease is up to be able to try the new features.
How is this any different?
RE: "Why do they not just revert to V1.09 and enjoy their radios until V2.0 is released and they can test to see if it solves their problems?
Perhaps I am missing something but I really do not understand the urgency to go from 1.09 to 1.10"
I get the lock but only if I use the tuner, so I quit using it. (seems like there is some timing issue in the firmware that causes the lockup in my case) but to your question. I used to use DDUtil to control my amplifier and antenna switches. With V1.10.x I converted all the peripheral control over to the USB feature.
Going back to DDtil is more trouble that it is worth since I can figured out that not using the tuner fixed the problem for me. Others may also not want to revert if they are also using the USB port feature.
Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
SSDR / DAX / CAT/ 6700 - V 1.10.16
It is easy to accidently have FDX on without knowing. Is this the cause of some of these lockups?
One thing I would add to the discussion is that....would it not be good customer service if Flex was to provide a copy of V2 to M5ZAP for testing to determine if indeed the issue has been fixed in V2 as they hope. It seems to me that would verify if it is or is not fixed. Would satisfy M5ZAP's concerns. Would not cause a customer to have to purchase V2 just to see if something is fixed or not. If it works would provide a fix without the customer having to wait longer. Would shut up all the Flex fan boys who seem to constantly criticize those that have issues. It would seem like a win win to me and so simple to do.
PS-My comment about the Flex Fan boys is not a joke. I personally do not post on the forum much due to the regular and predictable responses that come from the half dozen or so regular posters that seem to have a need to talk on Flex's behalf and feel that they have to defend Flex from every issue or negative comment.
Gerald has said he expects to have some who are having this problem test V2. Before release.
The so called fan boy thing,
Everyone has trouble at some point as a Flex owner. It is how people handle their frustration that can be a problem. And everyone are different.
It is the misleading and unfair comments made at times that get people to defend a great product.
It is good to explain our problems on here and see if someone can help,,but when it comes to all out trashing the radio,,and, or the Flex team? then yes I think it may be time to step in. I don't see this as defending Flex as much as defending this community that is here for all of us.
Tim has left guidelines here many times as to proper conduct, that includes the way we vent as well. Respect?
- 5220 Conversations
- 1593 Followers
- 3078 Conversations
- 632 Followers
- 3611 Conversations
- 934 Followers
- 874 Conversations
- 150 Followers
- 2971 Conversations
- 852 Followers
- 1265 Conversations
- 314 Followers
- 1041 Conversations
- 164 Followers
- 957 Conversations
- 134 Followers
- 1117 Conversations
- 160 Followers
- 1119 Conversations
- 146 Followers