Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Lockup after upgrade to v2.1.32

N6WT Kent
N6WT Kent Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Radio: Flex-6500
SSDR: V2.1.32
Operating system: Win10 Pro 64 bit

2 Times now after walking out of the shack and walking back in, the computer says lost connection to the radio and the radio it self is locked up. Only way to get out is to push and hold the button for a few seconds.

Started happening after the latest upgrade. I cannot say if it was happening after 2.1.30 since it was not on the radio that long before the latest version.

Kent
N6WT

Comments

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    The upgrade may have changed the IP address.
  • N6WT Kent
    N6WT Kent Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Also this last time I restarted the radio and it opened up with no slice. 

Kent
    N6WT
  • N6WT Kent
    N6WT Kent Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I use DHCP. I dont think this would be a problem?
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am having the same issue with my F6700, mine started 10 minutes after I installed the update and have Powered down the radio several times and a HARD reset and powered for 5 minutes but still did it. 
    I went back to version 2.1.30 but did not help, I wonder if changing the MAC address has something to to with it on some radio's. 

I changed from a static address to DHCP and reset everything in the router and still does it, and still trouble shooting to see what is going on but had to come into work so we'll see when I get more time. 

73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    Thak you for the report.  This issue is in our bug tracker (#5942) that we are actively investigating.
  • Mike_N1MD
    Mike_N1MD Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I have experienced EXACTLY same behavior. N1MD
  • [Deleted User]
    edited February 2018
    I also have same problem with Maestro connected.
    KH6OO
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hi Tim, to add to what I reported before to this problem.
    I down graded to 2.1.30 and it was still doing it and so I downgraded to 2.1.28 Alpha and the issue went away. 
    I have tried about everything I can think of to get it to lock up but 2.1.28 is rock solid on the 6700 either direct or with SmartLink as of yet.

Bret
    WX7Y
  • Ron K2RAS
    Ron K2RAS Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Same issue on Win7 under Bootcamp on a 6500
    K2RAS
  • W4KCN
    W4KCN Member
    edited February 2018
    Hmm.  Sounds familiar.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Flex -6700
    SDR v2.1.32
    Win 10
    I had a similar situation, where this version would not let the radio go through the load up procedure.
    1. I downgrade the Maestro to v2.1.30. 
    2. Radio and Maestro operate okay under v2.1.30.
    3. Shut down the computer, Radio and Maestro.
    4. Restarted the computer, Radio and Maestro, but this time they were running v2.1.30: Were as before the Radio was on v2.1.32 and Maestro would not run that  version.             
     5. I selected to run the Maestro and moved the selection from v2.1.30 to v2.1.32.
     6. It changed the Radio to v2.1.32. 
     7. Now both units are operating under v2.1.32.
     Making me a very happy Flexer.
  • N6WT Kent
    N6WT Kent Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Not sure how that is similar. Does the PC and radio lose connection and the radio lock up? I dont run a Maestro. 
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Sounds very much like the longstanding random disconnect bug that a number of people have suffered with on 1.11 and more recent 2.0 ssdr versions. That effected my 6300 on receive only after random periods of time, and sometimes in the middle of contests. If it's a different bug it sounds very similar to the one some of us had. Maybe most contesters are right to stick with non sdr radios for now? I sold my 6300 and am taking a break from contesting, playing diversity and dxing with a new Anan 7000, until such time as these disconnect issues are sorted and the 6600 becomes the radio of choice for so2r contesting. Hopefully Flex can get things moving again with ssdr development and bug sorting now the new hardware is shipping. Steve gw0gei / gw9j on 80m cw arrl this weekend
  • Mal G3PDH
    Mal G3PDH Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Have experienced a similar loss of connection with radio occasionally with V1 ssdr, however, have had 2 instances in the past week since downloading the latest V2 ssdr,  on in the middle of a contest!  Both computer and Maestro lost connection and 6500 was locked up and had to be forced into shut down by holding button then restarted.
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    I have the same issue with a 6500 on 2.1.32, Windows 7 with latest updates.  Radio left idling in SSB--no digital stuff running, etc.  Come back to desk and "lost connection" message is on the screen.  No change in my network.  I have never experienced a "lockup" previous to this software version.

Just happened for the 4th time, so I thought I'd report it.

Larry, W1IZZ

• W9AT
    W9AT Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I have   exactly  the same issue with my 6700 as described (the radio, not the software, is locking up frequently) since upgrading to v2.1.32.
  • W9AT
    W9AT Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I should correct myself, the radio, not the Windows client is locking up.  Of course, the waterfall stops, but I need to force a shutdown of the radio to reboot the radio.

Mark W9AT
  • Jay Adrick
    Jay Adrick Member
    edited March 2018
    Same issue here 

• Gary  w8vi
    Gary w8vi Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I am also getting random disconnects with v2.1.32, Windows 10 and a new 6600. Today while monitoring a net from across the room the pan adapter screen stopped and a loud 500 HZ tone emitted from the speakers. Looking at the 6600 Start button I could see that it turned red and was blinking two times. According to the manual it is caused by a software crash. This problem has occurred 5 times in the last 8 days. 

After about 20 seconds the loud tone from the speakers stops and the 6600 reboots. The Flex software closes and all that is remaining is the text box noting that the radio had lost connection. Smart SDR starts up with no problem and will work fine until the next crash.

I understand that Flex is working on this issue and would not be surprised to see an update in the next few weeks.
  • Lasse Moell
    Lasse Moell Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I have had this issue a few times now... left radio/maestro on, and maestro reports lost contact. Only a long press on On/Off button would do a restart.
    W7Pro/6500/Maestro/2.1.32
  • Jim Runge
    Jim Runge Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Same here. 3 lockups in two days. I went back to 30 and so far so good.
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Based on a reply here, I went back to .19. The lockup and other strange issues are gone.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    My 6500 locked up twice yesterday, and it emitted a tone via earphone jack,. Only way to clear was to hold on/off button to force shut down. SW was completely locked.
  • Gary Ashdown
    Gary Ashdown Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Exactly the same issue here. 6700 was working great and then shortly after upgrading to 2.32 the issues started appearing. Frequent lock-ups, forcing a hard reset, and now the CAT/PTT allocations keep disappearing and need to be reconfigured almost every day. Time to downgrade the software and see if it resolves the issues.
  • Gary  w8vi
    Gary w8vi Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Downgraded my 6600 from v2.1.32 to v2.1.30 and for the last 3 days have had no lockup's or software crashes. Much better than the random daily crash.

Started the DX contest Friday night and within an hour had a lockup caused by a software crash. Since the downgrade to 2.1.30 software the Flex has not stopped or crashed with the 6600 operating for over 72 hours. Using Windows 10/64 bit , Intel I7, and a non SSD regular hard drive. 
  • Gary Ashdown
    Gary Ashdown Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Un-installed 2.32 from pc, downgraded pc and radio to V2.30, rebooted pc, tested radio was working then upgraded back to 2.32. Radio has not locked up for 3 days now. Cat/ptt config seems to be loading correctly each day too. Fingers crossed it stays this way.
  • W9ILY
    W9ILY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Same issue for me using SmartSDR 2.1.32 with a wired connection between router and PC and radio. This has happened twice with 2.1.32 and I don't recall it ever happening before. Radio is 6500.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    If you have time, can you try connecting directly to your computer and see what happens? Also, some have downgraded then upgraded back and it is working well for them.
  • W9ILY
    W9ILY Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    OK, I'll try connecting the 6500 directly to the PC. Since this has happened to me only two times this may not be a good test but I'll try and report back. Changed my mind about direct connecting to the PC and downgraded to 2.1.30 and upgrading to 2.1.32. Will see what happens.
  • W9ILY
    W9ILY Member ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I downgraded and upgraded again to 2.1.32 as you suggested and after 6 days the problem has not occurred again. Thanks.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.