Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Loads OK, But will not "START" using Flex 3000 PowerSDR

K5PZ
K5PZ Member
PowerSDR v2.7.2 boots and runs as long as it's in STOP.  But  Hitting the START button produces a pop-up window  "PortAudio Error: -9998  Invalid number of channels."  Then clicking OK in the box, a new box pops up saying "Invalid stream pointer".  Can someone help? Running Windows 10 Pro. 

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Did you search the forum to see what Tim said to others on this. I recall something about your problem but do not remember what was done. Look around and see what you may learn.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I also expect you windows had an update and messed with the ports.. you may need to unistall, including all folders and files for PSDR and re install.
  • Bill English
    Bill English Member
    edited January 2020
    I got that error when I first installed PSDR. Trying to remember what it was. Seems like it was something with the FireWire card. Make sure you have the correct drivers installed .
  • K5PZ
    K5PZ Member
    edited March 2018
    Yes, I've done searchs but no joy finding this. A clue is that it was working after I installed PowerSDR the first time (a day ago).  Then I wanted to make Remote Desktop work.  When I was on the remote computer, I couldn't START PowerSDR either. But when I went back to the local computer, I had the same problem as the remote computer.  I couldn't now START PowerSDR from the local computer without getting the error messages.
  • K5PZ
    K5PZ Member
    edited March 2018
    Another clue.....if i DON'T enable both VAC 1 AND VAC 2 , then I can START  PowerSDR.  But I hear no audio at all from the computer.  Also, interestingly, on the Audio Table of Setup, the VAC  Input pull down menu is grey'd out.  The Output pull down menu lets me choose Primary Sound Driver, Speakers, or Realtek Digital Output.  When it was working before (yesterday) I saw items in the VAC Output pull down menu. 
  • John
    John Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    install psdr completely, then re-install and try again. Perhaps remote desktop is grabbing the ports and not letting go.

• Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Make sure that in the PSDR setup that the vac for RX and TX are not reversed.

Pat
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Peter, this is an audio problem, no need to reinstall PSDR. Which VAC version are you using with which OS version? I run VAC 4.15.0.7314 with Windows 7 and 10 (64bit) and this is the last version which works well for me. Here is my setup:
    Reinstalling VAC and trying the above mentioned version should work.
    Also be careful what the Windows audio controller does with your new VAC cables.
    Check all settings, then use PSDR VAC 1 to set the cables and VAC 2 for your speaker and Mike.

Oh, and I you run Windows 10, give the VAC folder all permissions!

Alex - DH2ID
  • K5PZ
    K5PZ Member
    edited March 2018
    Thanks Alex for your posting.  I set my VAC up exactly as you've suggested. However, I still seem to have some kind of conflict going on when using Remote Desktop.  I'm having trouble with getting the TX audio to work from my remote computer. But at one time (in some configuration I can't reproduce), it worked!  So, I just have to find that configuration.  More importantly, if I click either VAC1 or VAC2 button on the remote,  I immediately get an "unanticipated host error" and the app forces the remoted PowerSDR operation to "OFF".  I can power START back up from the remote, but only if both VAC1 and VAC2 are disabled on the remote. Once START works, there is no audio because I can't re-enable either one of the VACs on the remote without it crashing again.   I apparently don't have the configuration correct.  Can someone who is running Remote Desktop and PowerSDR  please help me with the proper configuration.  I've trial and error tested configurations until it was totally apparent I have no idea what I'm doing.  Anyone?
    73, Pete K5PZ

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Sorry, Pete, can't help you there, as I don't use Remote Desktop.

Have you seen this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVTFjR77xXc
    And there is KE9NS's website: https://www.ke9ns.com/flexpage.html#rdp
    Look for Remote Desktop on the left side.
    FlexRadio has this: http://kc.flexradio.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50503.aspx

Good luck! Vy 73, Alex - DH2ID
  • K5PZ
    K5PZ Member
    edited April 2018
    Alex,
    Thank you for your time to reply and forward this info to me.  
    The current status of my journey is that I now have the Remote Desktop working except for a couple of issues.  I have a high TX noise added to my voice.
    Watching closely the KE9NS video, he too seems to have a high background noise level in his TX audio when using the remote PC's mic audio.  When I run the mic gain up to get full RF output during a Remote session, the background noise is excessive (it's not from my quiet room ambient noise).  I hope there is some setting combination that mitagates this. 

BTW, in order to get Remote Desktop to work at all, I have to make sure the PowerSDR app is OFF on the local PC.  I then access the local PC with the Remote PC's Local Resource setting on "Play on Remote Computer".  I initiate PowerSDR on the local computer, then close Remote Desktop.  Then I change my Local Resource setting on the Remote PC to "Play on this computer" and access the local computer again.  Presto, I have two way audio connection now, but with the added TX audio noise.   As I said, looks like KE9NS has the same issue if you watch his video closely (see that his TX spectrum plot is also very high when he's not talking).  

That being said, I'm extremely interested in the TEAMVIEWER app.  I've used Teamviewer in my business and it worked great.  I'm thinking it might work here too.  However, I just paid $99 to upgrade my Windows to 10 PRO so I could use Remote Desktop and I'd like to run that to ground before giving up on it.

New Issue:  I connected my CW Paddle to the front of the Flex 3000.  I can't use it!!! The sidetone is NOT sync'd with the paddle.  The sidetone is heard waaaaay long after I touch the paddle.  I can't send CW that way.  Who can?  I searched this site with all kinds of search words, but I didn't find any solution for getting the sidetone sync'd to the paddle.  Any idea?
    Best 73,
    Pete K5PZ
    Trying not to be a newby PIA.
  • K5PZ
    K5PZ Member
    edited March 2018
    Update:  I found a posting here on the community suggesting that I disable VAC and use the headphone jack on the front panel of the 3000 when in CW mode.  It worked perfectly.  I now can use my paddle.  Sorry for all of the bandwidth.  I am still interested in finding out if anyone knows about the background noise in the audio when using Remote Desktop.  TU de K5PZ

• DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I'm glad you found that, Pete :-) My remoting is done with the Flex-6500, so I can't help you there. 73, Alex - DH2ID
  • Unknown
    Unknown Inactive Employee
    edited April 2018
    Pete,

Your original issue was  with the Port Audio error was that you did not have a working sound card in you computer or the sound mapper was missing ..   This will issue of the noise in the Remote Desktop was that when using VAC button to reroute the Sounds,, these are line levels from the radio VAC levels are on the front of the PowerSDR console (version 2.7.2)   not sure what Darren has done with them ...   There are lots of ways to misconfigure / reconfigure ..   If you want your PowerSDR volumes to work correctly , then run a stereo TRX from the  power speaker output to the sound card input ,  and then  the line out of the sound card back to the radio .leave the VAC settings out of it ...    then you can use the VAC for you digital modes as it was intended..     Food for thought.  

• K5PZ
    K5PZ Member
    edited April 2018
    Hi Dudley,
    Happy Easter/April 1 day:
    If I understand you correctly,  you're telling me that I did the wrong thing by running an stereo audio cable from the Flex 3000's front panel headphone jack over to my powered speakers.  I should have run that cable to the sound card input (the sound card's microphone jack?) instead of to my powered speakers?  Then I should make a RJ-45 cable for the front panel of Flex 3000 to run the mic connection over to the sound card output?  If I do that, where do I connect my local microphone?

Any idea on why my RF output power is only 80W - 90W on some bands and over 100W on 15M?

Best 73,
    Pete

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.