It appears this problem is fixed after using the reset switch on the router. I just wanted to document it if others see it or it comes back in my case.
Received the 6500 about 6 months ago. It has always booted up with a valid 192.168.1.x LAN address as assigned by the Verizon FIOS Westell Model A90 - 9100EM15 cable modem-WiFi-router. Two weeks ago (before the 6500 s/w update), boot up started showing a link local address in the radio setup window.
I have tried several different configurations in hoping to find the problem, including
- a different gigabit switch between router, 6500 and pc
- a direct Ethernet cable from 6500 to the router.
- Moved router close to PC and 6500.
- unplugged power and cable connection from router and restarted
Sometimes the 6500 boots up with a valid DHCP assigned LAN address 192.168.1.103, perhaps 1 out of 10 times.
There seems to be a better change of getting a valid DHCP address if I do a factory reset and then on the second boot-up attempt after that I usually get a valid DHCP address.
All other devices on the LAN are working properly.
- finally reset router with reset sw on back. The 6500 has been booting up with a valid LAN address since then.