Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Link Slices (Manual Diversity)

EduardoCarvalho
EduardoCarvalho Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Is there a way to link two slices together in the 6300? I would like to be able to lock the two slices to the same frequency as I move about the band, so I can have each one in a different receive antenna, giving me a sort of manual diversity reception. 

I know that the 6700 is capable of diversity reception, but I would like a poor man's version of diversity on my 6300.

Thank you,

Eduardo Carvalho, KC8R

Answers

• KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I wish there was!  It would great for satellite work too.
  • Bob K8RC
    Bob K8RC Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    A 6300 only has one A-to-D system on board so two slices are "listening" to the same digitized baseband. You would get the same level of "diversity" by a "T" coax connector tying the two antennas together before going into the Flex.

That's the smart-aleck way of saying that it wouldn't do any good. Sorry.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Unfortunately, you cannot listen to two antennas at the same time, even though you have two slices, because they are both fed by the same SCU (receiver unit).  You CAN connect two different antennas, one to each port, but the only way to do poor man's diversity is to manually switch back and forth between the two, or as Bob said, try to combine the two antennas together, Which is a very uncertain task, because of phase differences between the two antennas.  Using two slices would make no difference, because when you change the antenna input on one, it changes it on the other.  The new transmitting profiles allow you to define a different TRANSMIT antenna for each slice, but they will use the same receive antenna unless you change them manually.  In that case, it would be best simply to toggle the antennas on the same slice.

I have had some success with quick switching antennas to decide which one hears the best for any particular station.  But to get any kind of real diversity, you will need a 6700 with two SCU's.

Ken - NM9P

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.