Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Link - local or Local Network??

Andy W3LI
Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
edited April 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Your question is pretty terse (and vague), but I'll assume you mean to ask whether one should prefer a direct to radio connection or through a switch / router. Either will work, but the direct connect is a bear for radio connection to the Internet, and you miss out on all the fun of connecting multiple PCs running different things to the radio (logging, digital programs, etc.)
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I should add that in a field operation, direct connect can be useful as long as you don't need to connect multiple PCs for some reason. I use a single PC direct connected, with a GPS receiver on the PC to provide accurate time (and I suppose you could provide a clock reference to the radio as well).
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    OK, Ted thanks for the reply. So you are suggesting that I run a cat5e  cable from the router/switch right to the 6400. Will do this.
    Andy...W3LI

• Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Yes, Andy, I think you will find that to be more satisfactory in many ways. You don't have to play games with the PC configuration to allow the radio to access the Internet for software updates and remoting. A cheap switch will solve a lot of headaches. If you connect to your router, or use a plain switch also connected to your router, the radio can get an IP address using DHCP (the default). If you do not have a router to provide IP addresses, you can set the radio to a static IP address - just make sure it does not conflict with anything else on your LAN.
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Thank You Mike, 

I Am still confused. If I run a Cat5e cable from my modem which has 4 ports to the 6400 how does my PC enter into the picture? Nothing connected to it?

Andy...W3LI
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Hi Andy I am not sure what the answer is because there are so many different ways to configure networks and from what we have learned, every week someone invent a new way to save their network is normal. It would help if you drew a diagram of your home Network. That would really help.
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I will draw everything out and mail it to you, OK.

Is there anyone who I can talk to on the phone or I will pay for one of the folks to come here.and help. 

Doing this stuff on line just is not working.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    The PC and the radio would normally both be connected to the router or switch (most home routers have a built-in 4 or 5 port switch). And of course with both being connected to the same switch / router, they have access to each other and to the Internet.
  • Andy W3LI
    Andy W3LI Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Ted, tnx agn. My PC and Radio are in my shack 50' from the router/switch which does have 4 ports. So this means that I need to run two 50' cables, one from the radio and one from the PC to the router/switch.  
    I am more than willing at your convenience to call you and pay the time. Better yet call me and I will accept the charges.
    I have had the radio since the 21 of Jan and this is all the further I have gotten.

Regards,  Andy...W3LI
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    My email on QRZ is a good - email me directly and I'll see if I can help. Hams help each other without payment :-) Ted VE3TRQ
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Andy,

There are many different ways to use a Flex Radio. This is why there is no one answer.

You mention your radio/shack are 50' from the modem.  You only need ONE cable to go that 50'.

So at your home end, you plug the cable into the small switch at the back of your router/modem.

At the shack end, buy a small 4 or 8 port switch. Plug the cable into that.  Now you can plug your computer into another port on that same switch. 

Both your radio and your PC will get network support through the switch and the router/modem.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.