Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

limited edition free upgrades?

W5XZ - dan
W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
edited November 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
as a current v1 user, i want to skip v2 and go straight to v3

I inquired at ham comm, and got shrugs ??

this stuff from 5 years ago no longer applies, then ???

didn't see much in V2, myself, so held out..

regards, w5xz, dan

Rick - N4RZ

• 78 Posts
  •  
  •  21 Reply Likes

I'm a Limited Edition owner and going to the major releases versus years sounds fine to me. SInce it simplifies the overall process. I do have one question, Do we get all 1.x versions and all 2.x versions or does our free support stop with version 2.0?

5 years ago
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 829 Posts
  •  
  •  1512 Reply Likes

Rick, as a Limited Edition customer you get all releases of v1.x plus one future major release credit. Support continues for v1.x as long as you choose to use it. You can use your major release credit against the future major release of your choice. You could choose to use it for v2.0 or you could skip v2.0 and wait for v3.0. That means you would continue using v1.x until v3.0 comes out. At that time you would get all v3.x point releases and support. This is identical to the PC/Windows model as I described earlier.

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    It's right in the FAQ. Limited only gets v2 for free.

https://www.flexradio.com/faq-smartsdr/

However what you posted from Gerald... I am curious about that myself.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    quoting Gerald exactly:

"That means you would continue using v1.x until v3.0 comes out. At that time you would get all v3.x point releases and support."

oh, but that was 5 years ago ??  things have changed ???

So, this is about like the assurance I got that I'd get a schematic for my 6500, when available, pre-production???

this is the 'reward' for the initial expression of confidence by sending deposit money well ahead of actual production of the 6000 radios????

we used to call that reneging....  w5xz

• Tom    N5MOA
    Tom N5MOA Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Not my rodeo, but that makes no sense to me.

If you can pay for an upgrade straight from v1 to v3 or v9

I am still on SmartSDR v1.x, do I need to purchase v2.x before I can purchase v3.x?
    This is not necessary, you may purchase and install SmartSDR v3 as a direct upgrade from version 1, and you will also automatically get all of the additional features release in v2 over the last 18 months with no additional charge.

Why would a Limited be restricted to v2?

I have a Limited Edition FLEX-6500 or FLEX-6700. Do I get this update for free?
    Limited Edition owners were entitled to a free upgrade of v2 of SmartSDR. V3 is the first paid release for Limited Edition owners.

Seems like the same upgrade process to me.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    V2 came with your radio? So version 3 would be purchased.
  • Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    I think it's a little early and unreasonable to accuse Gerald of a moral failing ("reneging") based on someone's shrug at Hamcom (usually means "I don't know") and an FAQ undoubtedly aimed at the vast majority of LE purchasers who did upgrade to V2 and did not skip from V1 to V3. 
  • John KB4DU
    John KB4DU Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Flex Sales 512-535-4713 will get you the exact answer to your question.
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2019
    Dan -- If you (or anyone else in this position) has never run v2 on your radio, we will be happy to honor the agreement and apply your free license to v3.  Note that we will verify the claim.

I think the assumption was that all of the signature edition owners would update to v2 as that set of folks tends to be early adopters.  The alternative would have been to contact each and every signature edition owner and ask them what they wanted to do and then license around that.  This didn't make business sense.  I'm sure you understand.

Shoot me an email directly: eric AT flexradio DOT com.  We'll get you taken care of.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    thanks for stepping up, Eric !!

73, w5xz, dan

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    nope. my radio came with v 0 !!

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Ria, the FAQ is what troubled me, since i felt it was at odds with what was promised in the beginning.  Seems to me the FAQ needs editing, re LE radios.

73, w5xz, dan

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Your radio had no software at all? 0?
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    no, it was pre-release v1.xx...v0.xx as the rigs rolled out..

• W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    Eric IS the man !!  all set with v3 now...pretty quick and painless..thanks dude;  I retract my statement 'Flex is reneging'...due to misunderstanding FAQ's..

73, w5xz, dan

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.