Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Lightning strike at NM9P

2»

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Yes, the ESD protection ICs designed to be sacrificial during an EMP or static discharge into the radio to protect the SCU did their job very well.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Glad they were there! No telling how expensive the repair might have been without them. Too bad there isn't an internal test routine that displays "You fried it! Front end now unprotected!". When that happens! Ha ha!
  • Mike NN9DD
    Mike NN9DD Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I had similar issue they thought caused by. Lightening and it toook out the antenna relays. About the same price to repair and very quick Mike
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

Wish the good practice of sacrificial-protector ESD Diodes was more widely used.  Wrote off much gear back when back-feed on the power line from a neighbor's tree 75 ft from the service easement being blown up by lightening.

Antenna protection didn't matter in this case, as one side of the 240v service and the ground were super-energized.  Looked like an arc-welder had been fired off inside the cases when we opened the gear up.

Steve K9ZW

• Gary Wise
    Gary Wise Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    As Ken wrote above, if the symptom of diode damage is an elevated noise floor, is it possible (or could it be) for the radio to tell the owner what has happened? Ken was attentive, but also considered other external possibilities for the elevated noise level.

I'd hate to think I'm listening through damaged diodes and not knowing it.

Worked Ulrich, VP6AH, on Pitcairn today. I was 5x7 with him, while he was 4x4 with me. Don't want to be an Alligator, all mouth and no ears.

Gary W4EEY
  • Ross - K9COX
    Ross - K9COX Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Perhaps the 7300 was performing very well (tongue-in-cheek)
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Gary - there is no way for the radio to inform you that the ESD diode is blown other than having an elevated noise floor that what is usually normal for your QTH.

You could put a signal of known strength into the radio and read the output and if they differ significantly, then I would send the radio in for service.
  • Gary Wise
    Gary Wise Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Thanks Tim!

Gary W4EEY
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I have an Elecraft XG2 that I use for providing a (mostly) known signal level into the radio.
  • Doug g4ovr
    Doug g4ovr Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Why  mostly  Tim?
    Doug g4ovr.

• Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Because, for the price, it was not designed to be a high precision signal generator.  You will have to use it to determine the actual signal level so you have a known quality before you use it to determine the amount of attention.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.