Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Lightning Protection for Remote Operation

K4SC
K4SC Member
edited January 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Many of usare all anticipating remote internet operation and I wonder how comfortable I am going to be doing that during summer storms when I'm three hundred miles away from my station.

It scares me to think of my five thousand dollar radio at the mercy of a gas discharge tube.  Even a large knife switch, ala Frankenstein, seems inadequate to me.

So my question is what if anything is available to provide a reasonable abatement of the risk? 

Answers

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I live in Southern California and was wondering about the effects of a large earthquake to my remote station.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    The ultimate lightening protection might be a system that can disconnect the coax and then insert a heavy duty insulator. You might start with connectors like the Spinner EasyDock.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    there's quite a bit of stuff on  w8ji's website; you might find it useful

http://www.w8ji.com/lightning.htm

• DV
    DV Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I built a coax relay box that grounds the antenna when I remove the 13.5 VDC supply used to power the radio. I operate my 6700 remotely from a number of places including Florida and use an internet switch to turn off the power supply after each use.  I suppose this does not protect my station from a direct hit, but I'm not sure if there is any truly fail safe way of doing this. I also use the internet site weather.gov to be sure I do not turn on the radio remotely where there is a thunder storm overhead.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I have been remoting for years but I live on the coast in Southern California where we rarely if ever get lightning.

But it would be easy to shut down your station via a remote switch (Such as a WEMO which I use) and even activate a relay to ground your antenna system which i do not do as I think lightning is not an issue here.

Like Jim, I am much more concerned about earthquakes as they are much more likely than a lightning strike,

My other major concern is wind.  When I first built my tower, I installed a Anemometer Wind Alarm on the top of the tower.  It is set to activate the pull down motor when the wind speed exceeds 25MPH.   I have remote cameras on the tower and watching the pull down operation and, of course, backup power just in case the tower needs to retract during a power outage.

• K4SC
    K4SC Member
    edited March 2015
    You must be a belt and suspenders kind of guy :)
  • K4SC
    K4SC Member
    edited March 2015
    Thanks for that!  There is a goldmine of information on his site.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Charles,
    Another consideration for lightning protection is the ethernet port on the radio.  This can be an issue whether you are local or remote.  A close by strike can induce a high voltage into the cat5 ethernet cable and destroy the interface.    When it happens to the NIC on your PC motherboard you can add always an ethernet card.  If it happens on your radio, it would require a return for repair.

I converted a section of my shack ethernet to fiber for this reason.   More info and pictures on my Flex web page:

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm

Scroll down to the section on "Ethernet Lightning Protection"

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

• K4SC
    K4SC Member
    edited March 2015
    It appears from the W8JI's website that a switch configuration like this is what is needed when breaking the connection from the antenna.  This looks like what would be seen in a magnetic starter.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    http://www.arraysolutions.com/Products/tunerprotector.htm.  Something like this arrangement could be placed at any convenient spot in your antenna/coax chain I suppose.   Ill be considering something like this when building gets going on my new Remote site this Summer.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.