Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Lightning damage... can't see my 5000 :-(

Mike  W1BFA in Maine
Mike W1BFA in Maine Member ✭✭
We took a lightning strike a week and a half ago which managed to **** the top off a 80 pine 100 feet from the house as well as decimate (melt) 1/4 of my 160 loop as well as hit the house.  The antennas were all unhooked but unfortunately nothing else except some of the AC.  So far we have replaced one TV, three set top boxes, cable amp, modem and wireless router, data switch, cordless phone base, regular pots phone, rotor control, computer (motherboard and power supply gone), a few wall warts.  6500, Maestro and the PC for that radio are fine and happy...  Unfortunately I just received the replacement PC, put the SIIG firewire card in, lit it up and loaded software, PC sees the card and says its happy but no sign of it seeing the 5000a.  5000 lights up and smells fine but does not communicate with the PC.

Any suggestions before I call in the big guns?  thanks   Mike in Maine

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    Was the PC connected to the 5000 the one that was replaced due to damage?  If so, try the other Firewire port on the radio.  It is possible one port is blown while the other one is fine.
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    What does the Flex FW driver say? What is your OS? 7 or 10?
    Try reinstalling PSDR 2.7.2. I use the modified PSDR by KE9NS.
    http://www.ke9ns.com/flexpage.html
    73, Alex - DH2ID
  • Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    edited June 2020
    Yup, the pc that was toast was the primary PC fpr the 5000.  I replaced it with a new windows 10 machine and put in the Siig 2 port card that was in the damaged PC.  Tim,  you're a partial winner today!  I switched to the second firewire port on the 5k and the eprom stuff updated with exceptions ( I didn't jot down) and now PSDR 2.7.2 sees the 5K and connects to it.  You can issue commands in PSDR and hear some clicking etc and PSDR acts and responds to commands but the 5K doesn't show any signs of wanting to be a radio.  Am I getting close to "box time" ??   Mike

• Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    Change the sampling rate down to 48k to see if a slower data rate works better.  If that is the case, then it may be the Firewire card.  We are starting to see incompatibilities with new PCs running Win10 using TI chipset based Firewire cards
  • Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    edited June 2020
    hmmmm?  When I changed it I got an "invalid stream pointer" and "unhandled exception" error I believed it was.  I stopped PSDR. closed it and powered the 5K off then on again and now it says its doing a firmware update but showing no sign of progress on the bar yet..   the plot thickens....  Mike

• Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    The constant firmware update messages are indicative of the PC not fully communicating with the radio.  I think it might be time to open a HelpDesk ticket as I suspect the 5000 will need to be checked out and that will require an RMA number.
  • Mike  W1BFA in Maine
    edited June 2017
    Ok Tim, I just started.   Thanks a bunch.   Wish me luck, have a great weekend!

• Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    GL OM 73

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.