Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

licensing and multiple installations

Robert -- N5IKD
Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
edited June 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Once licensing is implemented, how will the licensing work if I want to use my radio from multiple computers? (not at the same time)
Tagged:

Answers

• Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I have a feeling and also hope it's linked to the serial number of the radio. So no limitations other than it needing to be a licenced serial. And it would probably need to call home to validate - as opposed to trusting the individual to enter a valid licensed serial.
  • Dudley-WA5QPZ
    Dudley-WA5QPZ Inactive Employee
    edited March 2018
    Robert, As of now, it is a single user access from any one computer, SmartSDR can be loaded on as many computers as you like..
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Robert, Dudley is correct. This is covered in the license agreement that you agree to before installing SmartSDR for Windows and a copy of the license agreement is in the release notes too.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2019
    So when the updates start flowing, and new versions are made available with new features and doodahs that we pay for in our update subscriptions - how is the proliferation of those updates, among those whose subscriptions eventually lapse and have not paid for them, restricted? My initial reply was assuming that a validation process will be created to validate that the radio has an active subscription. Otherwise updates can easily be shared.
  • W5XZ - dan
    W5XZ - dan Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    'doodahs' ?? is that a software engineering term, Richard?
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Aye, it goes along side doodjamaflotsies and thingamajigs.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    As I understand it, software will be licensed to the radio, not to the client
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    We have not yet spent a lot of time discussing these topics. Our main goal in licensing is this: provide a revenue stream from existing customers that goes into software enhancements for those customer's radios for as long as the customers are interested in continuing to pay us to do this. In other words, if you are continuing to enjoy new value from each release we make and you want to continue paying for it, then you will fund us to continue the development. In a sense, you get to leverage all of your friends and fellow amateurs to get us to do new useful and cool features that you want. We see this as a win for everybody and as a customer you are in control of how long this goes on. If the customer base doesn't like what we're doing and can't convince us to change, you just stop buying upgrades. I think this is good for us -- it compels us do what you want. I trust that however we do it, you guys will keep us honest by voting with your wallet. As far as specific features or how they might be used across client devices and radios, none of that has been decided. We will undoubtedly have a conversation about what seems "fair" and we will discuss what we think with a number of customers before implementing anything.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.