Legal Limit Solid State Amp - SPE 2K-FA, KPA-1500 or ??

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Answered
Looking at solid state legal limit amps with integrated tuner for use with 6700. The SPE 2K-FA and recently introduced Elecraft KPA-1500 look pretty sweet and similar. I have a KPA-500 which is a great amp but looking for a bit more punch to break through pileups with my Spiderbeam.

Not sure what other amps should be on the shortlist.

Rick, W5FCX
Photo of Rick - W5FCX

Rick - W5FCX

• 208 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes

Posted 8 months ago

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3002 Posts
  • 660 Reply Likes
I think I would stay with poor IMD thanks..lol
Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 334 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
Wow, the first PGXL went up for sale on QTH.com. I would have bought it, but someone beat me :-(
Photo of K1UO - Larry

K1UO - Larry

• 816 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
I got a brand new OM Power 2000A+ auto with new spare tube I would swap for an KPA1500 or outright sale.

Larry  K1UO
Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 334 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
Keep the OMP!
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3002 Posts
  • 660 Reply Likes
Visitor, I am interested why you would keep the OM over the KPA1500? Not that I disagree, but what reasons do you have?
Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 334 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
My main reason is ROI- for $4K I purchased an amp with warranty that can do full duty cycle at full power until the cows come home. I run the fan at full speed all the time, vs the auto or PTT settings, and the noise is not an issue at all, even without headphones.

The OMP integrates well with Flex and all other rigs that have CAT. Or you can do RF sending. In my case, I use CAT.

Also, unlike other amps that have zillions of antenna outputs, the OMP has a single output PLUS two outport ports for 1) BPF and 2) antenna selection. I firmly believe that antenna switching should be done remotely, at the tower base. I no longer need my microHam box.

Auto tune is instant and very reliable. The RF deck is based on a classic, timeless platform that is well understood and refined over the years.

It is beautiful to look at! The finish is outstanding and compared to anything Elecraft is luxurious. The touch screen is vibrant and gorgeous.

Ability to do auto, factory, or user selected bias (aka the Meffa thing that 4o3a promotes as unique).

Last but not least, remote access is the best I have experienced.

There is nothing to dislike about the amp. The warmup time has never been an issue in my 30+ years in DXing and contesting.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3002 Posts
  • 660 Reply Likes
Interesting, I don't own such nice amp so I learn from people who do... Thanks..
Photo of W2NER

W2NER

• 92 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
HUMM
Photo of W2NER

W2NER

• 92 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
I have a SPE 2k for sale if you're interested
Photo of Jim Runge

Jim Runge

• 86 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
could you e-mail the info on your amp for sale.  Tnx, Jim K6JR  k6jr@outlook.com
Photo of Rick - W5FCX

Rick - W5FCX

• 208 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
After some time with the SPE 2K-FA I must say it’s a wonderful amp and tuner/antenna switch combo.

Like others, my only complaint is it dropping out of MAX power mode after 10 seconds of steady power out. That’s not what’s expected from a legal limit amp with headroom over 2KW! I’m not sure why it does this, given it has every other angle covered for over-temp, SWR, etc. Alas, I mostly run SSB so it doesn’t affect me today.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3002 Posts
  • 660 Reply Likes
It simply can nor cool to keep up with full duty cycle
Photo of HCampbell  WB4IVF

HCampbell WB4IVF

• 199 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Yes.  Looks like it was designed that way, per the User Manual Section 17, page 52.

Howard