Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

LED Chart States Solid Amber= Radio OFF, GPS for Stability. Is this operational yet?

Marv
Marv Member
edited December 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
I have the GPSDO installed on my 6500. All is working fine except when I power down I do not get this solid amber led. Also when I power up it serches for the sat signals and re locks. Is this a future enhacment or am I mis-understanding something. Marv W0ZK

Answers

• Army Curtis
    Army Curtis Member ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Marv, I have the 6700 with the GPSDO installed. When I power down, I get the amber led just fine. Be advised however that for this to work, you have to power down with the front push button switch on the Flex, but leave 12VDC connected to power the GPSDO. I think you may be turning off your power supply, which of course kills 12VDC to the radio and the GPSDO. Try leaving the power supply on and see if it doesn't work for you. 73, Army - AE5P
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    Marv, have you done the install GPS procedure? Do you see GPS data on the bottom of the main screen?
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Hmmm now that you mention it..I have the GPSDO option on the 6700 and when I power down the radio (leave 12V PS on) I dont get any Amber LED either and on each power up it has to go through a complete satellite search routine. This is with an external high gain antenna connected. So all the info it was locked on before 15 sats viewed and 11-12 locked was lost at power down?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Open Radio Setup -> GPS and click on the Enable button.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I just turned on the radio from a blank panel indication (no lights) It comes up with the GPS active and all info showing at the bottom of the GPS screen but the radio is going through its "searching" routine as far as the front panel LEDs are indicating. Also the indicator at the bottom of the SDR Panadapter view. ADDENDUM... Apparently that is the previous GPS info? since the status indicator says locking at the moment. It will lock up after a bit and stay locked....apparently until I turn off the radio again.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Army... just to clarify..I have the same situation as you and power down is as you describe yet I do not get the amber light at power off..In fact there are no lights lit until the front panel power switch is activated and then the GPS starts its routine from scratch...nothing seems to be remembered in memory or powered up when just the radio is shut off. The GPS always shows an initial status of active when first powered up! I havent placed the radio in the primary operating position yet due to persistance and cw memory requirements here for that to happen so the 6700 doesnt get used much at the moment and I hadn't noticed the GPS status since getting the radio back from repair at Flex.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    The answer to to topic post is yes. You must enable the GPSDO form the Radio Setup->GPS tab. Once you do this if you power off the radio from the front panel, the power LED should illuminate yellow. If you remove power from the radio, it will turn off completely and the GPSDO will need to go through a full initialization the next time you fully boot up the radio (not just apply power).
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Oh great.... I uninstalled the GPS and reinstalled it even though it was showing active and now I get the solid amber light on shutdown...BUT.. (yup... there is always a but) now the "pulsing" noise every second is coming from the powered speakers again when the radio is shut down. I guess for some reason I thought that pulsing problem was already fixed in ver 1.0.0.
  • Bob K4RLC
    Bob K4RLC Member
    edited March 2017
    Would someone please point me to the "chart" of the LED at the Power button? I'm getting various colors, blinking, solid, green, amber, dark blue..at varous stages of start-up and shut-down.etc.
    Sure it's a no brainer, but can't find it in the manual.
    Tnx de K4RLC Bob
  • Ted_Spiegel_NX6C
    Ted_Spiegel_NX6C Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

From the "Flex-6000 GPSDO Installation Guide"

Verifying the Operation of the GPSDO Module

When the GPSDO has been properly installed, the following indicators are shown.

The Power Button status LED will turn from Green to either solid Yellow or flashing or sold Blue depending lock state of the GPSDO module.

•   Yellow = GPSDO is initializing

•   Flashing Blue = GPSDO is initialized, but has not achieved a satellite lock

•   Solid Blue = GPSDO is initialized and locked

When the GPSDO has initialized, the GPS installation state will be indicated as “active” and GPS status data will be displayed in the Radio Setup -> GPS tab 

Ted
    NX6C
  • Bob K4RLC
    Bob K4RLC Member
    edited August 2016
    Ted,
    Thank you. Had a power failure and the boot sequence was off - lots of thunderstorms lately and takes 20-25 sec before the generator does it auto boot and kicks in.
    Tnx
    Bob K4RLC

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.