Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Last night windows updated and now CAT has a red error next to it. Any suggestions on how to fix?

Last night windows updated and now CAT has a red error next to it. Any suggestions on how to fix? Running Windows 10 and latest version of ssdr. There are little rectangles on the cat window. See image. HELP!image now i can not connect any third party programs

Comments

• Tony C kc2dis
    Tony C kc2dis Member
    edited May 2017
    This really sucks
  • Tony C kc2dis
    Tony C kc2dis Member
    edited May 2017
    Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Reboot?
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

After my PC automatically updated to Win10 Anniversary edition, many drivers were dead, including the driver for a Gig-E LAN card.  As a last-ditch effort, the O/S was rolled back and that saved the day. 

I'm using Win10 Pro and supposedly it allows for better update control -- but not in this instance.  It appears Microsoft is forcing a "guinea pig" test on consumers first, gathering all the problem data, then incorporating updates so enterprise users do not suffer the same pain.   

Paul, W9AC

• Tony C kc2dis
    Tony C kc2dis Member
    edited May 2017
    well thanks for all the replies.. a complete uninstall of SSDR and reinstall seemed to do the trick! What a hassle.
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016

Yep, ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the uninstall/install game!

• Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    It would sure be nice to know why this effects SSDR. I always uninstall SSDR when a new version comes out but it's really disruptive. Why is this necessary when so many other applications have no problems installing over their older versions? It's a computer and updates should be able to accomplish all of these overhead functions instead of requiring it to be done manually.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    The problem is not in SDR but in this case  the CAT driver, a TTY driver aka. serial port driver. When WIN-10 does an update that changes the OS as opposed to simple patches the problem on CAT will occur. I prefer to uninstall / reinstall as little as possible to I used the BAT files in the SDR drivers directory to do this. On the last major upgrade only CAT had to be un/in-stalled. Took 2 minutes and a restart. Given how old the TTY code is not sure major upgrades will improve anytime soon.

The previous major Win 10 update broke Nvidia GPU for the Folding at Home project out of Stanford. They (Stanford) said MS had used an Nvidia driver that was not up to date and was missing a feature needed by their code. So even the PhD's as Stanford can fall prey to MS updates.

I accidentally overlayed an Ubunto distribution where had set SDR to use as it's scratch area. That naturally effected CAT but I was able to recreate the pieces and SDR + CAT are up and running. Very oddly I had a Dax Chan #2 Audio showing the red level VU meter working but FLDIGI wasn't seeing the audio stream. Troubleshooting proved useless to an un/in-stall of DAX fixed that. Had to **** DAX and restart, suspect this was due to the 'new' DAX drivers not being ready when DAX started at OS bootime. I shall disable DAX/CAT autostart as I mainly use Maestro anyway.

I hope this helps understanding a bit.

"Solder on..."

TimPE

• Bob - W7KWS -
    Bob - W7KWS - Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tim, Thanks for your insight. Every bit helps. My comment above concerns SSDR updates as opposed to Windows updates. Any thoughts on why this is unable to be completely automated by the new SSDR release? I have five Windows machines & it would be so much less overhead if I could just install a new SSDR version over the top of an old version like I do with nearly every other application. Thanks!
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I've said this before, but I'll say it again ; if you make sure that CAT and DAX are not running before you let Windows restart after it downloads an update you are much less likely to encounter any difficulty.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    W10 killed my drivers twice now while not being on. Even so - its sad that it is so brittle. 

I really consider this an unacceptable situation. At this point I tell people they should be using W7 for SmartSDR. Windows 10 turns the Flex into an unreliable device. Note the Flex functions yet, but the system doesn't. My W7 install has been 100 percent uptime so far, so no more W10 for me. I took my W10 Dell to our club station because there isn't an Internet connection there, so it will remain working due to lack of updates.
  • Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019
    I had the same issue some weeks back and solved the problem by repairing the VSP driver thather than do a complete install.

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/205665325-How-to-Repair-the-FlexVSP-Virtual-Serial-...

Tim VE6SH

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.