Laptop recommendation for flex 3000

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
I am searching for a laptop that can support my flex 3000. I have the idea of operating on the move and dont need a large desktop for that. with the fact that laptop are way faster then they were when the 3000 hit the shelf, It would be a breeze to run on those machine.
Photo of Pierre Martel

Pierre Martel

• 50 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Larry Williamson

Larry Williamson

• 96 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes

I use a old 2009 windows 7 for mine---- works great

Check out KC0CF's web site for great used laptops ready for SDR. He post on QTH under Computers and accs

I have bought a couple of the older cheap ones and they work great!

http://kc0cfiowa.wixsite.com/photos/laptops-for-sale

Larry

Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 538 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
Remember you need a FireWire connection, be sure it's 1934a host adapter compatible
Photo of Pierre Martel

Pierre Martel

• 50 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Thanks Larry and David. Will take a look at the link Larry gave. But I would prefer a nice new machine ;-) so David comments on the 1934a host will also help.
Photo of Todd

Todd

• 6 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I think you meant a 1394a adapter? (perhaps a typo?)
Also, certain chipsets on the FireWire adapter are required. Flex has an article detailing this in the knowledge base.
Photo of Pierre Martel

Pierre Martel

• 50 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
think you are right. since i have dislexia I always mix numbers ;-)
Photo of Bob- W5TX

Bob- W5TX

• 91 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
Get as large a screen as you can tolerate carrying around.
Photo of Pierre Martel

Pierre Martel

• 50 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
that is the best comment so far ;-)
Photo of Sasi

Sasi

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Please go for a machine with excellent processing power. Ideally I7. The second most important aspect to consider is the compatibility of the Firewire port to operate Flex3K. I have had good luck with Dell and Sony that used to come built in with the Firewire port. The modern ones do not. So you will need a compatible firewire adapter. If you are in the USA visit <http://www.abrohamnealsoftware.com/> Neil used to sell a lot of Flex compatible hardware and Flex ready machines

Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 891 Posts
  • 166 Reply Likes
I use a Panasonic Toughbook CF-52, which has firewire and works with my Flex-3k.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9148 Posts
  • 3467 Reply Likes
Here are the key items.  The laptop MUST have an ExpressCard slot for adding a Firewire adapter.  Do not rely on an integrated interface to provide the performance or compatibility needed for the FLEX-3000.

The key to a good performing laptop is low DPC latency.  I have seen Bluetooth and WiFi adapters that generated long duration DPCs to the extent that the PC was unusable with a FLEX-5000/3000.  And cost is not an indicator of good performance.  I purchased a high-end Dell portable "workstation" that was unusable.

I know people have had good luck with some older model ThinkPads.
Photo of vectorizer

vectorizer

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
It's only one datapoint, but I bought a Dell Latitude E5410 with a built-in 4 pin Firewire port, at a hamfest for $90. I'm doing what you want to do ... operating mobile in contests and events with a Flex 3000. Has just enough CPU power for most things ... it is a bit laggy when tuning quickly but that's not a big problem with the events I'm in (parks on the air, state QSO parties). But I might have gotten lucky, I didn't study and fret, just saw the Dell being offered and took a bit of chance.