Laptop for wireless use with 1.4 on 6300.

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
I am considering a Toshiba laptop running an I5 Intel processor at 1.7 Ghz with 8G of memory. It has HD Graphics with shared memory. I would appreciate some input on this laptop's suitability for my 6300. It is a Toshiba. It will be running Windows7 Professional 64 bit which I prefer. I plan on running wireless.
Photo of Alan Nusso, N4BV

Alan Nusso, N4BV

• 53 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of AA0KM

AA0KM

• 266 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes

I would look for a gamer laptop as the specs are usually good.

If your going to multiple app running also need the umph.

(Edited)
Photo of Rhett Aultman

Rhett Aultman

• 30 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I run SmartSDR out of a VMWare image on a MacBook Pro, and your hardware specs run circles around that.  I'd reckon you'd be fine.
Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 410 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
I had a chance to try the alpha version of 1.4 . I did lan remote using a hp notebook low end with I5 processor . It did ok but as someone said if you run anything else with it such as a logging program, ddutil, or fldigi I am afraid you will have issues with smart sdr. If you have it already no loss but if buying a new machine I would go for a faster processor and plenty of memory.
Photo of Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

Guy G4DWV/4X1LT

• 1687 Posts
  • 387 Reply Likes
You should not have any problem apart from one issue. I have a 6300 and it runs just fine on the integrated Intel HD 3000 with all options maxed out. The issue is that the sharing of memory does funny things with a FlexControl, and that is the *only* reason why I use the dedicated Nvidia 630M that this laptop (Acer Aspire) also has. SSDR is not even beginning to tax my laptop and v1.4 will be even better on resources.
Photo of Alan Nusso, N4BV

Alan Nusso, N4BV

• 53 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks which model do you have?
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 154 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Hi Alan, here are the spec's on my my MacBook Pro running Windose 8.1 Pro.  Smart SDR runs just fine on it.

73,   Dan  KM6CQ

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B08

SMC Version (system): 2.2f44