Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Laptop for wireless use with 1.4 on 6300.

Alan Nusso, N4BV
edited December 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am considering a Toshiba laptop running an I5 Intel processor at 1.7 Ghz with 8G of memory. It has HD Graphics with shared memory. I would appreciate some input on this laptop's suitability for my 6300. It is a Toshiba. It will be running Windows7 Professional 64 bit which I prefer. I plan on running wireless.

Answers

• AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017

I would look for a gamer laptop as the specs are usually good.

If your going to multiple app running also need the umph.

• Rhett Aultman
    Rhett Aultman Member ✭✭
    edited February 2015
    I run SmartSDR out of a VMWare image on a MacBook Pro, and your hardware specs run circles around that.  I'd reckon you'd be fine.
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I had a chance to try the alpha version of 1.4 . I did lan remote using a hp notebook low end with I5 processor . It did ok but as someone said if you run anything else with it such as a logging program, ddutil, or fldigi I am afraid you will have issues with smart sdr. If you have it already no loss but if buying a new machine I would go for a faster processor and plenty of memory.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    You should not have any problem apart from one issue. I have a 6300 and it runs just fine on the integrated Intel HD 3000 with all options maxed out. The issue is that the sharing of memory does funny things with a FlexControl, and that is the *only* reason why I use the dedicated Nvidia 630M that this laptop (Acer Aspire) also has. SSDR is not even beginning to tax my laptop and v1.4 will be even better on resources.
  • Alan Nusso, N4BV
    edited May 2015
    Thanks which model do you have?
  • KM6CQ - Dan
    KM6CQ - Dan Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Hi Alan, here are the spec's on my my MacBook Pro running Windose 8.1 Pro.  Smart SDR runs just fine on it.

73,   Dan  KM6CQ

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,2

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.5 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B08

SMC Version (system): 2.2f44

Hardware UUID: 8A0E2408-7D95-5C14-B3C4-3DDA62127805

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.