KPA500 Amplifier

• Question
  • Updated 2 months ago
I am thinking of getting an Amplifier. I can only use a 110v AC circuit.  So that limits me to 500-600W amplifier. Does anyone have a KPA500 that you may want to sell.  They seem to get great reviews. But, the new prices are a bit high.  Thank you in advance, dan WA1QZX
Photo of Dan Trainor

Dan Trainor

• 103 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Robby Robertson

Robby Robertson

• 11 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have one.
Photo of Dan Trainor

Dan Trainor

• 103 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Thanks for your response Robby.  My email is good on QRZ.  Thank you very much, dan WA1QZX
Photo of David-N5PSM

David-N5PSM

• 169 Posts
  • 42 Reply Likes
I have one.  It works great with the Flex,  However the Tuner KAT-500 leaves a bit to be desired.

I bought a Palistar HF-Auto in preparation for my PGXL and discovered that the KAT-500 is not nearly as great as I had thought.  The Palistar on the other hand is a super piece of equipment!!  The KPA-500 loves it and everyone on my HF Nets report better signals from me. (I have now decided to stay away from klickety-klack tuners)

I have used it with a long wire from a hotel and with a OCF Dipole at home with great results.
73 de N5PSM
(Edited)
Photo of Dan Trainor

Dan Trainor

• 103 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply David.  And your experience with KAT-500 and Palstar HF-Auto. thanks, dan
Photo of John KB4DU

John KB4DU

• 76 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Dan
Do not fret over not being full gallon. There is only 3dB (1/2 S unit) increase with 1000 watts vs 500 watts.
Photo of bahillen

bahillen

• 156 Posts
  • 57 Reply Likes
Dan

I received my new PGXL last week. I am putting in the 220 v ac line. I was surprised to find it works well on 120 v ac with 1 kw output. The spec is 90-240 b ac. The amp is awesome. Tuner would be great to have but decided to wait for the flex tuner.

To go from 120 v to 240 just need a second power cord with the proper connector. So I can run on 240 at home and 120 away on a trip or field day.

Bill
W9JJB
Photo of Dan Trainor

Dan Trainor

• 103 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Hello Bill.  Thanks for your response.  And info on PGXL and also 110-220 vac.  thanks, dan
Photo of David Warnberg

David Warnberg

• 698 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
I have the KPA500 / KAT500 combo and I'm pleased... It integrates well with the FLEX either via the USB feature on the FLEX or using DDUtil (once it's updated to handle the newer versions of SmartSDR) I do recommend you put the Amp on a separate circuit in your location, even though it rated for 120 volts it will pull 12 to 15 amps at times and trip the circuit breaker if it's only 15 amps.  In newer homes (we just purchased one) most circuits are only rated at 15 amps and several are GFI'd so it's been a challenge here.

I MAY be thinking of letting it go in the future just to purchase the new KPA1500 or possibly the PXGL

Good Luck

David
Photo of Dan Trainor

Dan Trainor

• 103 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
David thank your for your response and also info on KPA-500 / KAT-500 combo and 15 amp breakers. thanks, dan
Photo of KENT HUFFORD

KENT HUFFORD

• 88 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
I too have the KPA500 / KAT500 combo. A great set. I had it running my FLEX 6xxx for a couple of years. I liked it so much, I sold my PW-1 and bought a KPA1500..another great amp.

I have kept my KPA500 combo to use portable, at events, School Club Roundup, etc. Sorry, I am not selling.

Kent, KQ4KK
Photo of Dan Trainor

Dan Trainor

• 103 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes

Thank you for your reply Kent.  And the info on KPA500 / KAT500 combo.  thanks, dan
Photo of bahillen

bahillen

• 156 Posts
  • 57 Reply Likes
Dan

I run my amp on a separate breaker. Since yesterday I did review my ac routing and can easily convert to 240 ac. My electrician told me 240 GFIs are very expensive. Your amplifier should only need a regular paired breaker dedicated circuit. I used 10 gauge but 12 or 14 might due. 10 gauge is 1 ohm per 1,000 feet. 12 gauge is 1.6 ohms per 1,000

Dan, your question has been helpful for me. Had to do a little research. TNX

Bill
W9JJB
Photo of Dan Trainor

Dan Trainor

• 103 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Thank you Bill on breaker and gauge info, dan
Photo of Clay N9IO

Clay N9IO

• 621 Posts
  • 163 Reply Likes
Not 14 gauge guys.
Pair of 12 gauge THHN's what I ran.
20 amp regular 2 pole breaker.
The main point is you want the breaker to trip
instead of the wall catching fire from burning wire.
Heavy wire, light breaker, dedicated circuit.
10 ga would be great but really not necessary.
Good luck.
Clay N9IO
Photo of Dan Trainor

Dan Trainor

• 103 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Clay thank you for your response and breaker and gauge info. dan
Photo of Wim

Wim

• 107 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I too have the KPA500 and KAT500 works great with my Hustler 6BTV G.P. and flex 6600
I do use the USB cable so that the KPA follows the band changes
rrecommended setup indeed.
Photo of Dan Trainor

Dan Trainor

• 103 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Wim thanks for the recommendation. dan