KPA500, 6xxx, and 10.8 beta

• Question
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Answered
Has anyone set up a KPA500, 6x00 and 10.8 beta? Experience, set-up and cabling? Jon/WW6ZZ
Photo of Jon Turner

Jon Turner

• 15 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3542 Reply Likes
Photo of Tom Warren

Tom Warren

• 59 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Tim, I downloaded the document and read it but having a hard time finding the Setup for KPA500 info ----> "Go to the "RS232 X" menu.......and the other menus that follow. Where are those config. menus found?
Tom,
 W4TMW
(Edited)
Photo of Walt

Walt

• 236 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
I got a StarTech cable with the FTDI AND the null-modem built into one cable - get them from Amazon for $20.98.  No need for add-ons or gender changers.

Just hooked up the cable to the KPA500 and it tracks the band switching just fine - I have not tried anything else, like transmit yet - the radio shack is torn apart and I do not have my dummy load to test into- have not hooked up the TX PA control line either.   Maybe this afternoon I can do more stuff.

But the band switching works just fine - I set the baud rate at 4800.  I am sure it does not care as long as you make it is same on both ends.  Make sure you configure the KPA500 for serial and it is only one way - the radio controls the amp, not the other way around.

Cheers.
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 621 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Walt, could you pass on the link to the product you got on Amazon?
Photo of Walt

Walt

• 236 Posts
  • 75 Reply Likes
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008634VJY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

StarTech.com 1 Port USB to Null Modem RS232 DB9 Serial DCE Adapter Cable with FTDI, Black (ICUSB232FTN )

There you go !

Cheers
Photo of k0eoo

k0eoo

• 621 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Thanks Walt!
Photo of Jon Turner

Jon Turner

• 15 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Tnx, Tim. OK on frequency info to the KPA500 using the USB cable. How do I control PTT for the KPA500 when operating from my Maestro?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
The PTT cable from the radio to the amp
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 754 Posts
  • 160 Reply Likes
I'm using the KPA500 and KAT500 in my shack.  I currently use DDUtil to provide control of the amp and ATU.  DDUtil gives me the ability to have the amp track the bands as I change frequency on the Flex.  It also lets me place the amp in STBY or OPER.  When in STBY, It is set up to automatically change the power output of the Flex to 100w, when in OPER the RF Power output is limited to 18 watts on 20m, 20w on 15m, 30w on 6m and so on so that I don't do something stupid like hit the amp with 100w.  I also can turn the amp and ATU it ON or OFF, recover from a faults if I ever have one on either unit, gives me SWR, temp, and voltage feedback.  Oh yeah, it also lets me select one of three antennas attached to the ATU and if I want, I can bypass the ATU all together while using any of the three antennas.  All of this functionality from DDUtil is extremely nice when operating remote or while sitting in front of the station.

Correct me if I'm wrong but as I see it, if I buy this FTDI cable and attach the amp / ATU to my 6000, all it will do for me is track the bands as I change bands on the Flex.   I would loose all other functionality - especially since it is pretty hard to have more than one application controlling a single USB device.

Am I missing something here?
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
That is correct.  The feature provided by the USB Cable feature in SmartSDR v1.10.8 Beta is for providing band data information directly from the radio hardware to the peripheral device.  It is not a DDUtil replacement.
Photo of Harold Rosee

Harold Rosee

• 94 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Tim, what is the long range plans?  Is the plan to replace DDutil or just frequency data?

It might be helpful if we all knew what the goal is that is being sought.

Thanks,

Harold
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
DDUtil is a third-party product which has and I suspect will continue to fulfill a unique niche for advanced station automation.  Steve Nance has written a fantastic application that has extended the capabilities of the Flex platform and for that we are eternally grateful.

As stated above, the USB Cable feature is for providing band data to third-party peripheral devices via a CAT, BCD or BIT interface.  Internally, we have tentatively discussed the possibility of expanding this capability, but to be perfectly clear, we discuss a lot of things that never become features.

Since it is company policy not to actively discuss or speculate on future software or hardware features or capabilities, even if there was a long range plan, I am not a liberty to discuss it. 
Photo of Harold Rosee

Harold Rosee

• 94 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
That Tim,

From your reply I will assume that the USB functions are what they are now and you have no further capabilities being added in the near future.  Or at least none that can be discussed.

My thought is frequency data only is of limited value.  Just my opinion.  I was hoping for a DDutil replacement.  Doesn't sound like that is in the plans.

Take care,

Harold
Photo of Tim - W4TME

• 9186 Posts
  • 3541 Reply Likes
Your assumption is correct.
Photo of Reggie

Reggie

• 91 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Norm,

Can you provide screen shots for how you configured DDutil to control your KPA500 amp and KAT500 tuner?

Reggie

Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 754 Posts
  • 160 Reply Likes
Here ya go.

Hope that helps..

Norm
Photo of Michael Wheatley

Michael Wheatley

• 29 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thank you Norm!  Your configuration helped me a lot.

Michael - KM6LHD