KPA1500 connections to Flex 6500?

• Question
  • Updated 5 days ago
What is the best way to connect he KPA1500 to the Flex6500. Would like the Flex to control the amp as much as possible. And what can be controled.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2477 Posts
  • 560 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Craig - KØCF

Craig - KØCF

• 116 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
You need this cable:
  Item       : KAT500 USB Serial Cable
  SKU        : KXUSBa
  Item Price : $32.95
From Elecraft. This plugs into one of the USB connectors on the back of the Flex and goes to the "XCVR Serial" connector on the back of the KPA1500.You will then have to go into the menu on the KPA1500 and select Radio Type as "Serial" and set up baud rates, etc. on both the KPA1500 and the Flex USB port menus.The KPA1500 will then follow the radio, even setting the tuner for whatever band segment you are on, for instantaneous band switching and transmit with no waiting for re-tuning. It is truly like having a 1500-watt transceiver!You may also wish to set up transmit profiles, setting the power output on each band for proper drive to the amp. I have both low- and high-power profiles for 1500-watt and 700-watt output power. You could also do a "barefoot" transmit profile that would disable TX1 and set full power on the Flex.This is a great combo!73,
Craig, KØCF
Photo of Craig - KØCF

Craig - KØCF

• 116 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
I should  have also mentioned that you need an RCA-RCA cable to connect from TX1 on the Flex to the "Key In" connector on the KPA1500. Don't use ALC!
Photo of Roger J. Buffington

Roger J. Buffington

• 131 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
Why no ALC, out of idle curiosity?
Photo of Craig - KØCF

Craig - KØCF

• 116 Posts
  • 39 Reply Likes
ALC should be considered a safety feature only. Using ALC to control your amp's output will result in wide signals. Flex has always recommended NOT using it, as does Elecraft. You should set your transceiver output power to produce the correct power output from the amplifier. This requires a different power setting for each band because most amps do not have flat gain across a wide frequency range. I dare say most of the broad signals that you can see so easily with a Flex-6000 receiver are due to using ALC to control the amp output.
Craig, KØCF
Photo of KENT HUFFORD

KENT HUFFORD

• 55 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Have a KPA1500 coming next week for my FLEX6600. Currently the FLEX6600 is connected via Ddutil to a KPA500.

I have one USB port on a DV3000 stick, and the other USB port on a cable to my STEPIR control box. 

Will the FLEX work with a USB hub, and more than two USB ports? 

DDUTIL currently does not have a menu option for KPA1500

Thanks,
KEnt
KQ4KK
Photo of Craig - KØCF

Craig - KØCF

• 114 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Yes, a USB hub will work -- Flex even recommends using one!The direct CAT connection from the 6500 to the KPA1500 is the way to go. Use the
Elecraft cable mentioned in my reply above. Using profiles to set the 6500 power level by band completely eliminates the need for DDUtil.
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 163 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
Ditto what Craig, K0CF, says.  Works for me.  The KPA-1500 follows right along with the 6600.  No need for external software for control.

Don't forget to set up a profile after you have set all the power levels in the 6600.  I have several profiles.  For example I have the following:
Amp on - which remembers all of the power settings to drive the amp to 1500 watts, Amp off - I have the power level on each band set to 80 watts out, QRP - I have the power level set to 5 watts for each band.  And several others depending what I'm doing with rig at the time.
Rich - N5ZC
(Edited)