Don

• 55 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Al Matthews

Al Matthews

• 22 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
I use my 6600m and KPA1500 with a flex usb cable from Elecraft. It’s plug and play with the cable menu on my Flex.
Photo of Don

Don

• 55 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Al can you give little more detail
Photo of Al Matthews

Al Matthews

• 22 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Sure Don. Elecraft provides a cable for the Flex 6000 series. This is from their website.

CBL-FLEXKEY 6000-family Enhanced Mode. KXUSB cable for freq. data, (Phono Cable incl. w/Amp)

This came with my KPA1500. This allows full auto band switching with my Flex 6600. Very easy to implement.
Photo of Don

Don

• 55 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Al
Photo of Roger,  W6VZV

Roger, W6VZV

• 250 Posts
  • 109 Reply Likes
Great info.  Thanks.
de Roger W6VZV
Photo of bobby

bobby

• 55 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
Tracks fine with auto detect no cable connectin needed sensing is built into amp as soon as it detects rf it changes to the correct setting ... works great
Photo of Don

Don

• 55 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Bobby can you give more detail
Photo of Pat - WH6HI

Pat - WH6HI

• 354 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
If you this method it will require you to key/tune the radio. With cable it directly tracks the radio. KPA500/1500 will band track. KTA500 will track the frequency and use its tune memory.
Photo of Don

Don

• 55 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks Pat
Photo of bobby

bobby

• 55 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
I forgo to mention I do not have the kat500 tuner I set my tuning to preset values on my manual tuner prior to transmitting rf and the amp switches to the correct band as soon as rf is detected, fast enough to prevent trip or adverse actions.
Photo of Rich - N5ZC

Rich - N5ZC

• 185 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Don,

See https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/

You will need a null modem adapter (for the kpa-500 only) between the USB cable from the 6400 to the KPA-500.  I use two USB cables, one to the KPA-500 and one to the KAT-500.  Both units track right along with my 6600.

I also have a USB cable going from my KPA-1500 to the 6600 and it tracks right along.  Perfect for SO2R contesting. 

I purchased my cables from Flex, if you order from Elecraft they may include the null modem adapter, you'll need to check.  I picked up a couple Null Modem adapters on amazon. Just be sure you get the correct gender on both sides.  I believe you need a double female.

Rich - N5ZC

Photo of Don

Don

• 55 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for all the help. To make the KPA 500 work with the 6400 you need the following . A cable set, CBL-FLEX-PWRCMB, for use with Flex 6000 family of transceivers.
The cable set includes: KUSB for Frequency, and a null modem with gender changer for data
Photo of Scott Russell - N1SER

Scott Russell - N1SER

• 131 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
This is the correct answer. This is the cable recommended to me directly from Elecraft for the KAT500/KPA500 combo to a 6400/6600.  CBL-FLEX-PWRCMB
Photo of Michael Miller

Michael Miller

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Just got it working using that cable. Make sure to set the radio to serial mode plus polling. It tracks band data using the newly release 3.0 version..