Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Koss SB40 and AD-1-Y Connector

N4TTN
N4TTN Member ✭✭
edited May 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I am trying to use my Koss SB40 headset with the AD-1-Y adapter cable on my Flex 6300 and it is not working. I tried turning on Bias in SmartSDR and I get no audio transmitting at all.

Did I get the wrong adapter?

Answers

• Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Oops! 

My first reply was about a different headset.

Your SB-40 should have a dynamic element. don't enable the bias it's not needed.
    Make sure you don't have the plug inserted upside down. it's possible to plug it in both ways.

I homebrewed an adapter for the SB-45 but it has an electret element and does need bias turned on.

The pinout for the plug is in the Flex documentation look for the Hardware guide.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    This may be the same problem as with using the Heil adapter with a Yamaha CM-500. The Yamaha has a stereo mic plug, with the element wired to both the tip & ring. The Heil adapter has a mono mic jack. Therefore, when you plug the mic into the adapter, you short out the mic element. I found a stereo to mono adapter on EBay for about $2. Plug it between the mic & the Heil adapter, & all is well. 73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Ray's right. you can probably keep the AD-1-Y, and avoid homebrewing it.

73, Jay - NO5J
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I homebrewed a jumper for both.
    SB40 pin 7 to sleeve, pin 8 to tip. Bias off.
    SB45 pin 7 to sleeve, pin 8 to tip and ring (shorted at the jack). Bias on.
    If I recall I didn't need the +20db gain on either headset.
  • N4TTN
    N4TTN Member ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    All is well in Headset land now. Thanks for the tip on the adapter Ray.

I hated having the mic in my hand.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Let us know how are the Koss SB40 doing with the Flex. I heard good things about that headset.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Danny 
    Have you got both the SB-40 and the SB-45?
    Do you prefer one over the other? If so why?
    I've been using PC headsets for a couple years now. The SB-45 seems more comfortable than my last set. I can probably stand to wear them longer. 
    I guess what I'm after is If you broke one set would you replace it with the same model, or begin to think about buying a spare of the other.

73, Jay - NO5J 

• Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited July 2016
    You need to use a mono adapter on the microphone plug.  I use a Koss SB45, which does require bias with the Heil adapter and it works great.  Just use a mono adapter for the microphone.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Jay,

I bought both because I wanted to compare the sound quality of the mics (dynamic vs electret). I settled on the SB-45 based solely on a fellow ham's feedback (Hey Dan! which one sounds more like me?). He was listening in the same room on an IC-718. A very scientific method you see. hihi

They are so close in tonal quality I would have no reservations about using either. Comfort would be a much larger factor.

73 Danny
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Danny

Thanks, to my ears a good electret mic competes quite well with high-end dynamic mics. The may cost less, but they don't sound cheap. I'll stick with my SB-45 until something cheaper and better sounding comes along.

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.