Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Keying the TX using a Remote Headset/mic/Switch in the upcoming v1.4?

Mark K9BOO
Mark K9BOO Member
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows

Aside from VOX or click-and-hold, what options do you imagine for keying the TX using a PC-connected remote headset/mic or switch in the upcoming v1.4? 

What, if any, manufacturers will offer a "complete" headset solution for Flex 6000 series users who do not want to use VOX or click on the screen to TX during remote operation from a PC? 

Will v1.4 have a provision for such a hand/foot-switch hardware solution?  (or is it already there and I'm too dimwitted to notice the solution in front of me!)  Maybe Flex will be offering a hand/foot switch?  [Now, I'm wondering, does the FlexControl already map one of the buttons to Xmit?]

As I lie dreaming at night of features Santa and his elves (please, let's not forget the elves!) are putting into v1.4, these questions ensued.  I need to stop eating before I go to bed.

Mark K9BOO

Answers

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    It's the cheese... Try a nice shot of bourbon or rye... Sweet dreams! Stu K6TU
  • Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Headsets and handsets for Apple iOS and Mac devices with the familiar 3.5mm, 3-sleeve section plug have a pause button that could be programmed to provide a convenient PTT function.
  • Ian1
    Ian1 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Perhaps for remote use with a headset they can incorporate the Space Bar for keying the radio to transmit.

Ian
  • Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I bought a wireless remote receiver with two fobs. looks like a remote car door  lock . added 12 volts and I now can ley my radio from anywhere in the house. using mt JABA  wireless head set I can being my flex up on my 55 inch tv and operate. the ptt device only cost 18.00 but the batteries in it are a little expense. I keep one fob hanging from my pr40 wjhen I want to use ptt instaed of vox.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2017
    SmartSDR v1.4 is not slated to have a hardware method for keying the radio via the remote PC.  You will have to use VOX or click MOX on the GUI.  This capability may be included in a future version of SmartSDR.
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

On a remote laptop can we use Bluetooth to the laptop? Or would possible latency be an issue? Just wondering if you experimented with this.

73 Jeff

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    While not necessarily applicable to 1.4', I have been using a Bluetooth headset for my iPad remote operations with SSDR. No latency issues.
  • AA0KM
    AA0KM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

Great glad to hear that. I have ideas of the laptop out and about sending pictures while remote via HF someday. Bluetooth would help have hands free a little bit.

Good day to you Howard!

73 Jeff

• Asher - K0AU
    Asher - K0AU Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Just noticed Tim's post, and my enthusiasm for V1.4 LAN Remote is dropping.  At best we're talking about a LAN-Remote-Audio-proof-of-concept feature in 1.4.  I still need my RemoteRig for PTT and for CW paddle support.  I'll give it a try, but I can't predict if CW sidetone latency will make keying feasible using remote audio.  If I plug my headset into a computer USB adapter then I lose the PTT connection I have through the RemoteRig.  At least the foot pedal going through a separate port will still work.  Kind of makes me want a FlexControl with CW paddle support AND a headphone/mic/ptt jack AND locally generated CW sidetone.  Guess I have to look at the FlexLib API after all.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.