Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Keeping older versions of SmartSDR...

Options
EA4GLI
EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
I read different opinions on the need or benefit of uninstalling previous versions of SmartSDR.
Well... in my case, I have had no need to uninstall any previous version.

I use a Windows 7 64Bit Intel Core I7 laptop with 8GB of RAM
This is what the FlexRadio Systems folder looks like in my system:

I was probably lucky (I have almost certainly jinx myself now)... but I haven't had issues with any upgrades and downgrade with neither Flex 6300, 6700 and Maestro.

Everytime I upgrade I:
  • save my SmartSDR profiles.
  • Close SmartSDR, SmartSDR CAT and DAX
  • Turn off the radio
  • Install new version of SmartSDR
  • Remove the old SmartSDR version direct links from the desktop.
  • Start SmartSDR, CAT and DAX
  • Start Radio...
  • ...and good to go.
Just letting you all know. It is always smooth sailing.

Comments

• WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Mine almost has as many. Time for some house cleaning, so this weekend I'll be doing a complete uninstall, and reinstall only the latest version. I think, as long as each new version is installed in a separate folder it's OK
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Recently I have gotten in the habit of uninstalling previous versions of SSDR and rebooting before an upgrade.  But I keep the installation files in my Download>Flex6500>Installers  fold in case I need them again.  I also export all my profiles before a new upgrade, too.  (If I remember)

Other than that, your procedure is pretty close to what I do, except I always reboot the computer after installing the new SSDR before I start it up, and I always do a Cold Boot of the rig after the upgrade, just to make sure everything is starting off straight.

I think the last I heard from FRS on this board is that you can keep the old versions installed, or remove them if you wish.  I just think it is much more "clean" to have only one version installed at the same time.  Although I have occasionally kept a current release and an Alpha release active at the same time.  More often than not, however, I have only gotten confused when I did it that way.

Ken - NM9P
  • K4MT
    K4MT Member
    edited July 2016
    Options
    After many years of doing PC support I have learned its always best to install clean.  I always totally remove the old versions using the Flex removal instructions and install clean.  I have never had any strange problems, although people who never uninstall old versions seem to not have any problems either.  I just like to keep things tidy.  

I also use ccleaner to remove old registry entries after removing an old version and before installing new one. I have found the uninstall leaves some bogus registry entries.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Salvador

Nothing really wrong with having more choices.
    As long as your careful about which choice you choose.
    I used to do it that way, worked fine, until I forgot about being careful, got in a hurry, got ****.
    Then I tried the other approach (Full, Clean, upgrades re-installs).
    Right now I've got 1.7.30 and 1.8.4 installed. Mostly because I'm lazy, and too **** to stick to a plan that works.

I usually never have any trouble upgrading SmartSDR (except for trouble I cause).
    But I'm quite capable of mistakes. 

Not sure if I know the procedure to uninstall 1.7.30 without breaking 1.8.4 and forcing a re-install.
    But I'm pretty sure, I'm going try that mistake real soon.
    Failure becomes a way of life early on. You just have to allow for it.
    I'm getting pretty good at it.
    YMMV!

73, Jay - NO5J

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The biggest hazard to keeping the old version(s) installed is that the icons (links) for the old version remain on the desktop which can lead to confusion about downgrading the radio when the old icon is accidently selected.
    I typically keep several versions installed on thePC but I do delete the old icons. If I wish to run an older version, I can run it from the windows start menu ( and do the downgrade) .. 
    AL, K0VM
    ( alpha testers see lots of versions)
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Just delete the old ones.  You can always re-install them.  No big deal.  Just watch your desktop Icons.

I do what Al does with all the Alpha versions we get.

Mike va3mw

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I am not really presenting my approach as the way to go... I just thought that I would point out my experience.
    I didn't realized I had all of them on this PC until today when I was providing some remote tech. support to a colleague that was "blaming" his problems with having previous versions of SmartSDR. It ended up being user error... misconfiguration of CAT. I took the screenshot to show to him that I doubt having the previous version was an issue.

I thought it was "funny" and worth sharing here. Anything pre 1.5 doesn't make a lot of sense to keep anyway because of the changes in CAT and DAX.

I am going to "clean up".... See me mess up my spotless record now!! LOL
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Jay,
      To uninstall 1.7.30 without breaking 1.8.4, just do the 1.7.30 uninstall but make sure you answer correctly when it asks about uninstalling the DAX/CAT drivers. (Don't unistall the drivers.)

AL, K0VM
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Al
    Thanks! 
    That worked, Kinda like I expected it to.
    This is what I like about the Community.
    The quality of the help available.

73, Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.