Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Keeping Flex-6500 up when PC crashes

Keith - KE4TH
Keith - KE4TH Member
edited March 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Is there a way to keep my Flex-6500 running when my PC crashes?  Using SmartSDR version 1.11.12.  About 10 seconds after the PC crashes, the Flex-6500 freezes up - no more audio in headphones, stops transmitting when keyed, etc.  I appear to have a Windows 10 issue that causes 4 crashes per month.

Answers

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    SmartSDR needs a PC to run on, if the PC is offline for whatever reason, the radio cannot run. You can operate your radio with a Maestro, an iPad with app software, or an iPhone with app software or of course another PC. Then of course you could also operate your 6500 remotely from a PC, Maestro, iPad or iPhone if your 6500 had SmartSDR v2 or greater.

Another alternative is to upgrade to a 6400M or 6600M which have the front panel (like Maestro) and no SmartSDR is required. The 6500 is a fine radio I had one for a few years until I upgraded to a 6700. I decided on a Maestro early on, but also thought of getting a refurbed laptop you can pick up cheap these days.
  • Keith - KE4TH
    Keith - KE4TH Member
    edited May 2019
    Thanks Mike.  I have run the radio with my iPad, but it's not nearly as smooth as with the wired desktop.  Need to look closer at the Maestro.  Since the radio runs for about 10 seconds after losing its connection, maybe it is possible to extend this "mode".  No settings could be changed, but the radio operation would continue hopefully long enough to get the PC rebooted or connection restored.  This would make the radio/PC system more robust!
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    The most cost-effective solution may be to fix your PC (if possible) or to replace it.  There's no way you should get so many crashes.  But the Maestro is nice if you want its particular features - knobs & portability.

There's no way the "radio" can operate on its own, alas.

73 Martin AA6E
  • Larry _ NY8T
    Larry _ NY8T Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Your still using version 1.11.12, you very well may be able to solve your disconnect issue by using a newer version of smartsdr. Your current version is pushing on 5 years old.
  • WA2SQQ
    WA2SQQ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    How often do you reboot your PC? Sounds like you might have a piece of software with a memory leak which causes the crash. I know it's a very opinionated subject, but when I leave the shack the PC gets turned OFF and all my connections to the outside world are severed. It only takes one nearby lightning strike or surge to put you off the air!
  • Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Keith,

I am also running 1.11.12 and it has never crashed on me.  Try another PC and see what happens.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    He doesn't have a disconnect issue at all. He has a computer issue giving him the BSoD (blue screen of death), so his computer is crashing causing all software to stop working. Finding the route cause of BSoD is the solution, not upgrading software.

A google search of what causes BSoD:
    BSoDs can be caused by poorly written device drivers or malfunctioning hardware, such as faulty memory, power supply issues, overheating of components, or hardware running beyond its specification limits. In the Windows 9x era, incompatible DLLs or bugs in the operating system kernel could also cause BSoDs.
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Sounds like a hardware issue to me.  My prime suspect would be the PC power supply.  I am assuming that this PC has operated normally in the past.  That said, I would change out the PSU.
  • Keith - KE4TH
    Keith - KE4TH Member
    edited March 2020
    Thanks for the several comments and suggestions!  The PC symptom is that the PC reboots without any command or warning.  The PC is shut down each evening so it gets rebooted once per day.  I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 about 4 months ago, and did not have issues until late April.  The ASUS tower is over 5 years old now, so a hardware issue is possible.  The Windows 10 event log shows the reboots but I have not been able to learn much more from the logs.  I will do some digging!
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    What is the full spec on your PC, as I had an issue where cumulative upgrades of system & other productivity software reduced the available memory of my system below what SmartSDR required.

SmartSDR "claims" the memory it needs both initially and then in increments until it arrives at a sable memory usage.

One of my PCs had enough to start SDR, but would then crash SmartSDR in a variable amount of time based on whatever else I was running.

As it was an older PC and was hardware limited to a certain amount of memory, I replaced it - actually pulling the RAM from the old machine to add to the new PC - and all is well.  

It was frustrating and I did open a support ticket wasting some of FRS's time in the process, as the older machine didn't crash instantly nor consistently.  

This may be different than your issue, but worth exploring as the "fix" is more available memory.

Steve
    K9ZW
  • Keith - KE4TH
    Keith - KE4TH Member
    edited May 2019
    The PC has 8 GB of memory, 7.2 GB usable.  It is single-channel DDR3 at 800 MHz.  The processor is an AMD A10-6700 at 3.70 GHz.  I added an Intel SSD which is the main drive now.  Graphics are ATI AMD Radeon HD with 768MB of memory.  I can try running Task Manager and watch for declining memory.  While operating, typically FLDIGI is running as my logger, and Chrome (memory intensive from what I have read) is open to QRZ to check call signs.
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Keith,

Check your CPU and powersupply fans,   I bet one or both are not spinning correctly,  has a bad bearing,  or clogged with dust bunnies..   If you have not cleaned the insides lately,  a can of compressed air can work wonders.. 

Dudley
  • Gene - K3GC
    Gene - K3GC Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    As Dudley says.  If that doesn't work, try the Power Supply; especially considering the age of the pc - five years is a long time for a PSU.  The mother board could also be going bad.  Look carefully at the mother board for electrolytic caps that are swelling.

In 35 years working on computers I hare replaced more PSUs (by far) than any single other component.
    Good Luck
  • Keith - KE4TH
    Keith - KE4TH Member
    edited May 2019
    Thanks Dudley and Gene.  I checked the PS fan and CPU fan - both working ok but moderate dust on CPU heat sink. Cleaned up dust and both fans with can of Ultra Duster. Motherboard looked ok but I may not be able to spot issues there.  Downloaded AMD's Overdrive to monitor CPU temperature.  Gives "thermal margin" for each core i.e. difference between max T and current T.  Settled out at 37 C so it's will under the max temperature.  My guess now is a power supply issue - will keep using it until the issue happens again - it was ok today for two operating sessions total 5 CW contacts maybe 1.5 hrs of operating.  Thanks for your interest!
  • Keith - KE4TH
    Keith - KE4TH Member
    edited May 2019
    Steve,
    I used Task Manager to monitor the memory during a series of 3 CW contacts.  It started at about 39% and settled out at 42%.  So I think the amount of memory is good.  At least in a shorter operating session, there did not appear to be any "memory leak".  Thanks for your comment - the symptoms sound just like what I am seeing.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.