Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Keep monitoring WSJT modes on a shack PC while using SSDR iOS remotely

Ria
Ria Member ✭✭✭
edited November 2019 in New Ideas
I accidentally discovered this but I think it may work. Still have to do testing.

Normally I keep a VNC session (over VPN) to the shack PC when I'm at work in my side window, this way when I can keep an eye open for band openings on WSJT while I'm busy at work (really, I can!) 

However, I used to keep SSDR open on that PC. Today I found out that I can actually use SSDR on my iPad, but keep it backgrounded (switch to another app to do this). The connection to the radio is still open, and DAX is still feeding WSJT-X. However I free up my iPad to play music or something else. If I want to take a break and work some CW or something, I can just quickly switch back to SSDR for iOS. This is all remotely with SmartLink.

In fact, I can keep a slice (and a SCU if you have a 6700 or 6600) and continuously monitor the band. Even if I'm working something else, I can leave WSJT-X monitoring, feeding PSKR or simply waiting for a band opening to pounce on some DX...

Interesting stuff. 

0 votes

Open for Comments · Last Updated

Comments

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    To carry this one step further...  Since DAX currently doesn't go over 2.0 I have actually been successful at running SSDR remote on my work PC and running WSJT-X on my home PC and connecting it to DAX. 

What you lose is the band change and rig control of course.  Well actually I just turned that off.  So it was happily monitoring away.  Now I never tried to transmit this way but it does receive data.

I haven't tried this in a while and I'm not sure how useful it is really.  But it is interesting.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    You don't lose rig control. CAT still works.

• Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Probably right... I just turned it off so I wouldn't mess with things.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.