Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

KE9NS with VSP Manager plus SSDR and SSDR CAT/DAX

G4NRT
G4NRT Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
I have SmartSDR running extremely well with SmartSDR CAT and DAX on my Windows 10 machine.  I run a FlexRadio 6700 / Maestro and FlexRadio 6300 all with no issues.

I have now acquired a FlexRadio 1500 and I want to be able to run that alongside.  I have chosen to use PowerSDR v2.8 from KE9NS. I now need to install some equivalents of SmartSDR CAT and DAX.

In his various videos, Darrin mentions/recommends using VB Cable to give me virtual audio cables and VSPManager from K5FR for the virtual COM ports.

I downloaded VSPManager but there are lots of caveats about installation and it states that I should be removing all other virtual port drivers before installing VSPManager.  I really don't want to have too do that unless it is really necessary.  It has taken time to get everything working well as it is.

Is this really necessary or is there an alternative virtual COM port programme I can use to create the necessary ports to run digital modes on the 1500?

Perhaps someone who has resolved this issue could give me some recommendations.

Thanks and 73,

David G4NRT/Z21NRT

Answers

• Keith Flint
    Keith Flint Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I would recommend that you use a separate PC foe your Flex 1500 and software. You will need to install a full version of Flex software before you can run PowerSDR, as you will note in his install notes. Please read his install notes before trying to install his software.
    Keith
    W7ZAC
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I can run SSDR with the Flex-6500 and PSDR with the Flex-1500 side-by-side.
    My audio cables are VAC https://software.muzychenko.net/eng/
    and my virtual cables are VSPE http://www.eterlogic.com/Products.VSPE.html
    Alex - DH2ID
  • Bob- W5TX
    Bob- W5TX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    David, you might want to look at VSPE. 32 bit version free.
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks Alex!
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Did you need to uninstall any SSDR components in order to install VSPE?
  • Keith Flint
    Keith Flint Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Why?
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    AS I mentioned in my original post, the author of VSPManager says to uninstall all other virtual com port drivers before installing VSPManager.  I just wanted to be sure I was not going to mess anything up if I go ahead and install VSPE.  Also, it seems like I will have to buy VSPE as I need the 64bit version.  I do not want to buy a programme that I cannot use!

Thanks!

• Bob- W5TX
    Bob- W5TX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    David, I have not tried VSPE in the manner in which you need, however since you need to commit a hardware port to VSPE I would think they might work together. At any rate you could test with 32bit version.
  • Mick
    Mick Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hello David
    I may be able to assist and will contact you off-group to your QRZ.com e-mail.
    Mick M0GWD  Portsmouth

• G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Thanks Mick. I'll look for your email
  • G4NRT
    G4NRT Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    With very grateful thanks to all who responded and especially to Mick M0GWD, I have got it all working with WSJT-X for FT8.  I have purchased the 64bit version of VSPE and also downloaded and installed VB-Cable which is taking care of the audio side of things. It is working very well and I am getting out very well indeed - especially since I amp only running 10watts!
    It is all co-existing on my Windows 10 computer with SSDR and DAX and CAT.

David G4NRT/Z21NRT

• Mick
    Mick Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Hello David

Glad that it worked out and many thanks for the kind comments.
    All the best.

Mick M0GWD
  • Bob- W5TX
    Bob- W5TX Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Super David, have fun.
  • Mark JS
    Mark JS Member
    edited August 2020
    I can run two programs side-by-side on Windows 10 64bit using https://www.virtual-serial-port.org/
    It works stably, the settings are simple and the plus of the software is that during an emergency reboot, the virtual com port is not deleted.
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

I have a 6700, and I had a 5000A working side by side. Sold the 5000A but recent re-acquired another 5000A. I thought I knew PowerSDR/virtual/vac well as KE9NS instructions, https://ke9ns.com/flexpage.html#vsp are golden. Installed VSPmanager and setup with WSJT all was working great, but now WSJT only sometimes connects, audio is not the issue it's the communications. Uninstalled and reinstalled VSPmanager so many times, rebooted etc. I know VSPmanager is working as I can connect with HRD. Even if I swap comports of the working HRD comp port with WJST, same thing, doesn't connect:

Hamlib error: Invalid parameterInvalid parameter
    1:rig.c(817):rig_open entered
    rig_settings_get_path: path=.hamlib_settings
    rig_settings_load_all: settings_file (.hamlib_settings): No such file or directory
    rig_open: cwd=C:\WSJT\wsjtx
    rig_open: C:\WSJT\wsjtx/hamlib_settings does not exist
    rig_open: async_data_enable=0, async_data_supported=0
    serial_open: COM54
    serial_open(229): open failed#1
    serial_open(229): open failed#2
    serial_open(229): open failed#3
    serial_open(229): open failed#4
    serial_open: Unable to open COM54 - No such file or directory
    port_open: serial_open(COM54) status=-6, err=No such file or directory
    rig_open: rs->comm_state==0?=0
    1:rig.c(1023):rig_open returning(-6) IO error
    IO error
    IO error
    while opening connection to rig
    Timestamp: 2023-10-06T18:15:18.802Z

Reading this thread I noticed G4NRT mentioned "the author of VSPManager says to uninstall all other virtual com port drivers before installing VSPManager". I have not done that as yet but thought to reach out here to get some opinions.

• Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭

Yeah, finally broke down and uninstalled the FlexVSP and after re-installing VSP Manager all is well. Must be a Windows 11 thing as I had no issues with Windows 10 using SmartSDR & PowerSDR or SmartSDR & Thetis at the same time.

Didn't want to but it looks like now I must run a separate computers using Windows 11.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.