Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

ke9ns Software and Flex 1500 Timing Issue

DonS
DonS Member ✭✭✭
I have noticed that when using WSJT-X / FT8 and the 1500 there is almost a three second delay before the radio actually puts out a signal from the time it goes into transmit.  I have tried both CAT and com port with the same result.  WSJT-X both v1.9.1 and v 2.0.0 and KE9NS is v2.8.0.105.  What am I missing besides my mind?

Comments

• Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Don,

That is really too slow,  you do need a fast computer,  low DPC rates VAC working at it's best.   Try stopping and restarting VAC,  or reboot,   and run Latmon from Resplendence SW..   Also make sure that all the sample rates for the audio from radio to Sound mapper to VAC are all the same, 
    https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202118418-Sample-Rate-Synchronization-between-VAC-a...

Windows has a tendency to set the Sound mapper for VAC lines to 44100 instead of 48000 for the sample rates,  and has to constantly resync.  

Hope this helps,
    Dudley

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Hi Dudley

the computer is a Dell XPS 8700 with i-7 CPU at 3.6 ghz (8 CPUs).  There is 16gb of ram.  The OS is WIN 10 Home 64 bit.  All the drivers are up to date so based on this info the PC is more than adequate.  I have run LatencyMon  and it shows the highest measured latency was 888 us and the avg is 136 us. It also says "system appears suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropout". The audio sample rate is 44800 on the computer, VAC and in the Flex 1500.  Right now it looks about 1 sec delay from transmit to power out and immediate if I put the radio into transmit via the tune button.

Don
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Don,

Looks good, but the 48K  sample is a better choice.  

Is the radio keying,  but no output for one second?   Is this the issue?   Are you not seeing the audio in VAC or in the Sound Mapper?   And how about with another program like FLDigi? 

Dudley
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Dudley

My mistake it is set to 48k.  Yes, that is the issue.  I am seeing audio activity in VAC and Sound Mapper.  I am getting no output from fldigi and I am not sure why.

Don

• Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Don,

Just make sure you have the correct VAC line selected,  I don't remember anything about a delay for output of audio from FLDigi,  if you select Tune in FLDigi,  does the radio key up and do you have at least immediate RF out at that time? 
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Dudley

I tripled checked the VAC lines.  Input to 1500 is output from fldigi and output from 1500 is input to fldigi.   It helps to make sure that VAC is enabled :-)  Radio keys up and rf out almost immediately using fldigi.  So no issue with fldigi

Don
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Great,  then you know that VAC and Soundmapper are working correctly ..   With the new version of WSJT-X ,  maybe there is some new setting that is effecting delay,  I mostly run the 6700,  but will try the latest version on WSJT on a 1500 to see if I can find it. 

Dudley
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I brought up WSJT-X  version 2.0.0.784f75   CAT set for TS-2000,  virtual 2 as input and Virtual 1 as output ,  works great on 1500 running Darrin's SW .   Radio keys and then audio starts.    Sure you do not have Fox / hound enabled?   I will let it run during the day ,  check on it later.. 

Dudley
  • Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Don,

It took several hours,  but finally got the added delay..   I seems to be in the VAC link in PowerSDR,  once it occurs,  just toggle the VAC1 button and then the radio will have output at the same time as WSJT -> VAC -> Soundmapper  ..    I am going to lower the audio buffer size down to see if that will help the issue.    Should let Darrin know of this issue.

Dudley
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    It appears this issue is still haunting the 1500 VAC and KE9NS.  Between everybody's computer clocks being out of sync AND buffer sizes...  I could tell you where I had my settings up to a few weeks ago with the latest of everything however no radio here anymore.

I ALSO had severe CW sending issues mutating the keying with the paddles right into the front panel.  Took setting the buffer size really short and making sure all the sampling rates are set the same for everything.  A major issue is the USB port speed.  I also found resetting the VAC would fix that time shift, I did a LOT of Resetting my system clock...  I watched the reported time differences and if they grew too high would resync my clock.  If there's an errant stations clock I have used TIME FUDGE to get the clock within their problem.  Using 2013 Dell XEON Precision T1650 W/S with 16 Gb RAM, here...

With the 1500 it appears everything needs to be perfect or you WILL have issues with one mode or the other...  Echos on SSB monitor also noted when things got out of WACK... There's a LOT of traffic running on that tiny USB cable...  :-(

Erika DD
  • Dudley,

I cant get to first base with Flex 1500 and PowerSDR v2.4.4. Computer NUC5i 1.6ghz, 8 gig mem

Under settings in WSJT under radio I select Flex Power SDR. Under com ports I get a list of about 11 com ports and one that says USB options. I tried everyone and with each I get a pop up box that says Rig failure. Under audio I can select the VAC and receive and decode. ft8.

roger

na4rr

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin

@Roger Rockwell/na4rr PowerSDR v2.4.4 is VERY old. The last version FlexRadio published was v2.7.2 almost 7 years ago.

I recommend using KE9NS PowerSDR v2.8.0

• Same thing with ke9ns sdr v2.08.

• I think this radio is playing games with me. I have had this problem for the last month (since I had to send 6700 back for repair.) Just tried ke9ns v2.8.0 and all is working. I'm getting dx qso's on 20m . Now I have to figure out how to set the correct levels so I don't over drive. I love the squelch. Its great for monitoring call freq on 6m

• ke9ns works just fine. The PowerSDR v1.18.6 from flex does not. I have I have done and uninstall and re-down loaded the program from the flex site. When I try to run it It says Initializing Hardware then after about 5 sec ask if I want to go to demo mode. If not check that unit has power and FireWire connections. Of course I'm not using firewire I am connected via USB

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin

@Roger Rockwell/na4rr Make sure you are not connecting it to a USB3 port. It works best using a USB2 port. In some newer PCs where the USB hardware is virtualized, the port can't stream data properly. I know of some folks that had to get a USB2 PCIe add-on card and that worked where the integrated USB ports did not.

• Dudley  WA5QPZ
    Dudley WA5QPZ Member ✭✭✭

Roger,

You are running a 1500? In that case, FireWire Driver is not needed. If KE9NS 2.8 is working stick with that, I don’t think the early version 1.8 will work the1500, the issue going back in PowerSDR versions is that you would need to downgrade the radio firmware to make those versions work.

Drop me a note with your phone number, I’ll call you direct if you have not figured it out .

Dudley, WA5QPZ

• OK Dudley thanks for the reply. ke9ns is working so will stick with that til my 6700 gets back from repair. The 1500 is great in every other way. I going to put it up for sale. Thanks again.

roger

na4rr

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.