K6TU Control iPad application is available!

• Praise
  • Updated 5 years ago
With great thanks to all who helped with the alpha/beta testing of the app and to FlexRadio Systems, I'm delighted to announce that the K6TU Control iPad is now available.

Full details including a video shot by Mack W4AX are available here:

K6TU's Ethergeist blog
Photo of Stu Phillips - K6TU

Stu Phillips - K6TU, Elmer

• 642 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Greg

Greg

• 656 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Stu....I am not very familiar with the iPads. Is the Ipad 3 the one with the retina display? Is $300 a decent price for a used one with case in 32G size?

Greg

• 642 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
Greg,

Here are the specs for the iPad3 from Apple - and yes it does have the Retina display.

IPad 3 Specs on apple.com

Looking at Ebay, it looks like prices for a pure WiFi unit range from $250+ on up to $400.

Stu K6TU
Photo of Greg

Greg

• 656 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Thanks...I guess $300 for a local sale with a case and charger is about on par then. Picking it up this evening. What are the wireless AP devices you can recommend. I have not used one before. Does the Cat5 from the house connect to the AP and then the AP provides both wireless and Wifi on the same subnet? I would have to probably connect a switch to the AP as well as I have too many wired devices for the number of ports available on the AP. I have a Netgear device with 8 ports and I think it is full, or close to it. I got the nicer iPad for when you other apps hit the street. Looking forward to it. Thank you Stu.

Greg
AB7R

• 642 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
Greg,

I've had good success with Netgear AP's and have three of them in our house. You plug a CAT 5 cable from your Netgear device into the AP and then the AP bridges Wireless and Wifi together.

Most of the AP's have a small Ethernet hub built into them - the N600 Netgear model has 5 - one called "internet" or WAN that plugs via CAT 5 into your other Netgear box, the rest are available to plug in other devices like your PC, radio etc.

I don't remember the price of the N600 that I paid or if it is still current - I think I paid around $70.

Just be sure to configure the unit as an access point!
Stu K6TU
Photo of Greg

Greg

• 656 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Thanks....I will look for one on amazon.

Will you be working the RTTY RU? Going to do it with nothing but the flex and dax. Should be a good test platform. That is, if my present dose of drugs allows it. :) On a bunch of pain stuff for back issues right now. :)
Photo of Richard Clafton W4/G7EIX

Richard Clafton W4/G7EIX, Elmer

• 455 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
You can get a re-certified one on Newegg for $30. Search for item: N82E16833122461
Photo of WA6FXT Mike

WA6FXT Mike

• 216 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Stu,
except for not getting the profiles to save any settings, I've save several profiles, for different bands and modes; but, selecting a profile changes nothing. I think the app is pretty nice and is well worth the cost. Once I can get the Profiles to work, it will be very nice for contesting and general control.

Mike

PS: I sent you an email regarding this and received no response :^(

• 642 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
Sorry - a little backed up with this thread and if you sent me a direct email its buried somewhere!

I'm not sure what you mean by "selecting a profile changes nothing"...

When you select a profile a stream of commands are sent to the radio for parameters that need to be set. Also the list of filters is updated.

However, the profile deliberately does NOT save any information about slices. This is to avoid conflicts between clients. Equally, at present there is no "default" filter per mode.

So to apply filters, you need to set the mode, then tap and select a filter to get its parameter applied to the selected slice.

I do this for different contests - I have a profile for RTTY, different one for CW and for SSB. This way I can quickly select which filter configurations I want.

Hope this clarifies how profiles work. You can also take a look at the documentation on my web site (link to that from the app coming soon).

Stu K6TU
Photo of Greg

Greg

• 656 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Wish this would work... already have one. :)

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-WNCE200...

• 455 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Check to see if DDWRT or OpenWRT is available or even Tomato - you may be able to re-purpose it.

• 642 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
This is a WiFi adaptor not an AP. As Richard mentions, you might be able to blow new brains into it but IMO, not worth the time.

Stu

• 455 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Indeed, not when you can get a dedicated for $30.
Photo of Greg

Greg

• 656 Posts
  • 63 Reply Likes
Just ordered the same on from Amazon for $30 (also refurb) but I get free 2-day shipping there. Will let you know when it arrives if I have any issues setting it up. Looks like it gives me a few extra wired ports too as I am running out on the netgear box. :)

Thanks Stu.

• 455 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
Ah yes, Prime. Best thing I ever subscribed to!
Photo of geep

geep

• 31 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Got the ap up and running, looks great, no problem finding and attaching to the 6700. One small question -- when I swipe the slice panel off to get the ap full screen, how do I get the slice panel back? Not immediately obvious.

• 642 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
Ah, a portrait mode user...

Try this, rotate the device to landscape and back again to portrait. Presto change-o and now a button appears at the top of the screen called Slices.

Press the slices button and the slices list will appear.

This appears to be a feature of iOS and I've been trying to find a solution since I started developing the app!

Sorry about that...

I usually have the iPad propped up in landscape mode using the magic cover as the stand.

I'm still looking for a fix for this one...
Stu K6TU
Photo of geep

geep

• 31 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Just had the light bulb turn on and came back only to find your answer. Yes, I am a portrait mode user and keep the tablet locked. I thought I had unlocked it but hadn't and voila. Like the ap, Stu, having fun playing with it.

• 642 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
Geep,

The next release has this fixed. I finally realized what was going on and how to fix it. The "fix" had to be done in multiple places to deal with the profiles, filters and setup displays as well as the slice display.

However, they are all now done - it is a feature of iOS - but not a bug! :-)

Stu K6TU

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.