K6TU control with SSDR v1.3?

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Does anyone use K6TU control ipad app with SSDR v1.3?  The only information I can find dates back to May and refers to SSR v1.2.1.
Photo of Peter Kirsop

Peter Kirsop

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1644 Posts
  • 600 Reply Likes
Works here.
Photo of Stu Phillips - K6TU

Stu Phillips - K6TU, Elmer

• 642 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
Official Response
The version of K6TU Control in the Apple store is v1.4 and works fine with SmartSDR V1.3.  I will be updating the app in the next couple of weeks to add some changes to the Objective C interface library but these will likely not be visible at the interface level.

K6TU Control does not provide support for CWX and likely will not.  This app is intended to be used with SmartSDR for display of panadaptors, slices etc.

Please feel free to ask any questions regarding the app.  You can find more information on K6TU Control at:

http://k6tu.net/ipad/k6tucontrol.html
Stu K6TU
Photo of Peter Kirsop

Peter Kirsop

• 36 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Thanks Stu, got the app now and it works well with my 6300 and ssdr v1.3. I really like the ease of changing modes, filter etc.

I do not find it so handy for changing band as it always seems to put me in the centre of the selected band, rather than returning me to where I was before switching. As I am mostly a CW operator this means I have to tune down to the CW end each time. SSDR itself returns me to where I was so I still use that for band switching.

Apart from that it is a useful addition to SSDR

73 de Peter GM4WCE

• 642 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
Peter,

The current band buttons on the iPad app select a fixed frequency as you have found. I will see whether its possible to tie these into the radio's persistence - the original app was written before persistence was implemented in the radio.

Another way to chance frequency is to double tap on the frequency display - this will bring up the keyboard allowing you to enter a frequency manually - it does require that a decimal point be entered and at least one zero - so 14.0 is required rather than 14 alone.

The concept behind the app was driven by efficiency in HF contest or DXing workflow - for example, the add slice button creates a slice that is identical to the one currently selected for quick generation of split operation when chasing DX.

In a contest, I wanted to be able to control the radio without having to change window focus away from my logging program.  The K6TU Control app allows me to do this - full control of the radio for contest operation without focus shift.

In a contest I generally change only a small subset of the radio's controls:

- Tuning (FlexControl)
- RIT (FlexControl)
- Filter BW (app)
- RF Power into amp (app)
- ANF/NB on/off - (app)

That's about it!

I made extensive use of the profiles in the app to store radio setups including filters for specific modes - I have profiles set up for CW, SSB and RTTY.

Although Flex has created profiles in the radio, I haven't yet concluded how to integrate the app profiles together with the radio.

Glad you like the app and appreciate the feedback re the band buttons - I will look into that!

Stu K6TU
Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 625 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes
I love mine.  I haven't used it in a contest yet, which was my primary reason for buying it.  Being able to control critical functions in a contest without having to adjust Windows focus saves time and gains points.  I replaced my Hurcules DJ control with a Flex Knob, the iPad app, and a 24-key macro-programmable keypad from PiElectronics.  I have been able to duplicate most of the functions that I used with the DJ controller.

Stu, if the iPad app were available for Android devices, that would be awesome.  I love my iPad but it's expensive and I use it for work as well.  It would be nice to have an Android tablet, which would be cheap enough that I could leave hooked up all the time.  Even the older, refurbished or used iPads are still a little pricey.

• 642 Posts
  • 256 Reply Likes
Steve,

Sorry but there won't be an Android version of K6TU Control - its enough work to do one and keep it current especially when its not the day job!

Stu K6TU
Photo of Steve W6SDM

Steve W6SDM

• 625 Posts
  • 283 Reply Likes
That's okay Stu.  Now I have an excuse when the next whiz bang iPad upgrade comes out to buy a new one and retire my present one to the ham shack.
Photo of Lew Mettler, AG6XT

Lew Mettler, AG6XT

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Very Shortly there will be some alternatives for those who prefer to run Linux and/or Android.  There is a new web site (still under construction) designed to support SDR applications on Linux and Android.  In fact, Microsoft and Apple versions will also be supported provided that a Linux or Android version is available.  check out LinuxSDR.xyz.  Do not expect much yet. Just getting fired up. But, you can register and if you have a Linux or Android product you can get set up as a developer.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.