Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

K2CM/Remote Base Success

K2CM
K2CM Member ✭✭
edited September 2019 in New Ideas
N8NCR, Nolan, has installed my 6700 with the Elecraft 500 watt amp in Williamsport, Pa. He installed an Asus router which makes the remote connection trivial. This is just one more success story whereby you can use your Flex in a remote environment. Setup takes but a few minutes. I am currently in the Cancun, Mexico area until March.

Comments

• Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Enjoy Cancun!

Talk to us about the "Asus router which makes the remote connection trivial."

Lot of people here would be interested in that. Or at least I would. :)

Thanks!

Rob
  • K2CM
    K2CM Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    1. Install an Asus RT-N66U router 2. Set up a VPN Username/Password 3. Follow the instructions to set up an address with Asus....such as "george.asuscomm.com", 4. Using a VPN client, connect to your router with your remote Windows computer ( I use a Lenovo Yoga laptop here in Mexico) 5. Install Smart SDR on your remote Windows computer, install a headset on your computer 6. Run SmartSDR, you will see your Fkex. 7. Check "remote" at the top of the screen 8. Select your mike audio as PC 9. Operate! Note that you cannot send CW with a key from your remote location. You musr use CWX I dont think I left out any steps....but, if you have any issues, let me know. I have used this approach at two locations, my home in Vestal,NY and at the QTH of N8NCR, Williamsport, PA. where the Flex is currently installed. We also have an Ekecraft KPA500 Amp and tuner installed. These require some fussing and special setup to prevent faults when tuning and operating. If you can set up VPN on your computer without the router, that will work too. I used the Asus router as I could not make software VPN work on my station computer.
  • Rob N4GA
    Rob N4GA Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    George,

Thank you for that.

Keep the sunblock on!

Rob

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.