Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

JUST RECEIVED MY FIRST FLEX. I Where is the Flex 5000/3000 firewire driver?

Don
Don Member
edited November 2019 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
I have looked for the Firewire Drivers to download for the Flex 5000, but after 2 days of looking, I have not located it.  I need some help (and an Elmer)

Answers

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    The drivers will install at the time of PSDR install...
  • Don
    Don Member
    edited February 2019
    Thanks Bill,  I found and downloaded and installed SmartSDR 2.4.9.  Now to sort out why the radio is not being recognized.  Steep learning curve for an old timer...
  • Tom Martin
    Tom Martin Member
    edited February 2019
    Hi,
    If your running Windows-go to https://www.ke9ns.com/flexpage.html
    He has all the information you will need to install his PowerSdr software. He has detailed instructions for setup and use, and information about 3rd party software you will need to make your 3000/5000 work really well. He is constantly updating his software with new features for the user.
    The software is free, and if you like he does ask for donations to assist with future development.
    I run his software on both my Flex 5000A and my Flex 1500.
    If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me.

Tom W7TJM
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    The 5000 series run PSDR, not SmartSDR. You need to download the proper program. SSDR will not work with your radio.
  • N9VC
    N9VC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Wrong software. You need Power SDR from the download page for the
    Flex 5000
  • Tom Martin
    Tom Martin Member
    edited February 2019
    Don,
    You need to use PowerSDR and not SMARTSDR. I do believe SmartSdr is for the 6000 series Flex transceivers
  • Don
    Don Member
    edited September 2019
    Thanks,  I will download KE9NS software.  I looked at it, but it seemed really daunting for me.  I am sure I will have more questions like What The Heck AM I Doing?  I am retired Army and we always said "You have to be 10% smarter than the equipment you use.  I find that I am NOT...
  • Tom Martin
    Tom Martin Member
    edited February 2019
    Don,
    Your quite welcome. I'm 71 myself and if you slowly read thru KE9NS pages, you will grasp what it is all about. It did take me quite awhile to catch on to the software and what it can do.
    I have several HF tranceivers including a new Icom IC-7300 but I prefer using my Flex 5000A more than any other. I think you will enjoy you Flex 5000.
    If I can assist you anyway, please feel free to contact me. 

Tom W7TJM
  • Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Don,
    I like your attitude. 
    Wished more FlexRadio buyers and users had the same. 
  • William LaMontagne
    William LaMontagne Member
    edited February 2019
    KE9NS has done a great service for all the Flex 5000A owners! He has done an excellent job. Amazing radio, enjoy!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.