Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Just Bought a 6400 - Should I Install SmartSDR V2 or V3?

Options
Ron / K4XRF
Ron / K4XRF Member ✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Just bought a new 6400.  When it arrives should I just install SmartSDR V3, or will I need to first install V2 and then upgrade it?

Answers

• Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    It will likely have 2.4.9 on it - just leave it and use 2.4.9, or if you want the v3 features, do an upgrade - it will be free.
  • Matt-KD5FGE
    Matt-KD5FGE FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Ron, I would recommend going ahead and loading v3. 
  • Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Ron,

Your new radio will likely come with 2.4.9 but you should have a free upgrade to 3.0.  I am not sure if they will be installing 3.0 on new radios yet but it could happen.

I personally don't see a reason to not use 3.0.  Even if you do not have a use for the 3.0 features, all of the 2.4x features are still there.

I would suggest staying with 3.0.  I think there will be a number of 3.0 updates to come which will likely come out before fixes to 2.4 but I could be mistaken on that.

• Eric-KE5DTO
    Eric-KE5DTO Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Radios that shipped prior to today (4/9) went out with v2.4.9 installed.  All radios going forward will have v3.0.19 (until there's something newer/better).
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    As long as you are NOT using a Mac :-(
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Hi  Ron

Try both.  You can move back and forth as you like.

Mike

• Doug
    Doug Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Dog gone you Mike, there you go making sense again !

• W2ECK
    W2ECK Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Is there a reference for going back and forth.? Paul W2ECK
  • Ron / K4XRF
    Ron / K4XRF Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I have both a PC and a Mac (which also runs Windows via VMWare's Fusion).  What are you referring to specifically regarding a Mac?
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited April 2019
    Options
    This is probably the best reference for back and forth: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPIaze3_lMw
  • Eric-KE5DTO
    edited April 2019
    Options
    In all seriousness, changing between versions of SmartSDR for Windows is as easy as launching from the shortcut/icon for the version you want to run and then waiting for the radio firmware to update.  It is similarly easy with a Maestro or an M model.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    What I am referring to is that none of the native Mac apps will work. xDax / xCat don’t work, so you can’t do digital or radio control (i.e. MacLoggerDX), and dogParkSDR won’t work so you can’t have a native GUI on the radio. Total loss for the Mac world.
  • Ron / K4XRF
    Ron / K4XRF Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Wow!  Thanks for the info. Wonder if dogParkSDR, et al will be able to update their software to be V3 compatible....
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Don has already said he will update dogParkSDR (and along with that the Flex6x00 MacLoggerDX interface I’d assume) - no timeline. Mario has said he will be updating xDax and xCat, but will not get started until after Easter - he and his Flex are not at the same site.
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Some of the 3 Rd party apps may not be revised to accommodate V3 yet. Depends on your attitude with dealing with upgrade to get all apps working together. You have a lot of basic things to learn even with V2.4.9 Bill W9JJB
  • KI4P
    KI4P Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    ha! i think ill wait till the bugs are out, im afraid ill brick it! HA!
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited April 2019
    Options
    It is pretty hard to brick a radio.  :)  On Monday alone, I upgraded and downgraded my 6600M about 12 times.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Here is the way it works.

If the application you use only uses CAT control for the application, like most logging programs (HRD, etc), you should likely not have any issues using V3.  These programs connect to a Com port on SmartSDRCAT to get radio band data.  This works the same as it did in V2.

Some other programs that use our FlexLib API to communicate with the radio, and these programs will need to be updated.  FRStack has just been updated and others are working on it.   SliceMaster is being worked on since it does use the FlexLib API.

If you are unsure, please ask and we will do the best to help you out.

Mike

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.