Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

JT65-HF with DAX

W5UN_Dave
W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
edited February 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
I would like to hear from someone who is using JT65-HF with DAX. It seems to work except the signals on the JT65-HF waterfall screen will be stable, then drift a couple hundred hz, and then stabilize again. The drifting is unpredictable. The 6700 radio is totally stable with GPS. I cannot figure out where this drift problem is coming from.

Answers

• Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Dave, I use JT65-HF with DAX, but I have not seen this phenomena. Are all the signals doing this in unison or is it individual signals drifting?
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    All signals drift in unison. This is weird! What version of JT65-HF? Here it is version 1.0.9.3 I have no idea where to look for the problem solution.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I am using 1.0.9.3 also, I will have to look for that issue to see if I can spot it.
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    BTW, if I run WSJT instead of JT65-HF, the signals are extremely stable.
  • Brad - N6SPM
    Brad - N6SPM Member
    edited February 2019
    I have the same issue. Here is what I've seen so far. I use Dimension 4 and have it do periodic updates to the time to keep the time-synch'd. When not using SmartSDR, everything is fine and the updates show very little drift. When I launch SmartSDR, the updates in Dimension 4 show incredible drifts between updates (many seconds). This leads me to think it is a Windows priority issue since SmartSDR uses about 50% of my old computer CPU capacity. Everything works fine if I use JT65-HF with my old Kenwood (i.e., no SDR software running), even if HRDeluxe is running. I Googled around and found some discussion about Windows settings/work-arounds, and I have a much more powerful computer I may put into SmartSDR service, so I'm not very motivated to keep troubleshooting this issue here. Good luck es 73 Brad - N6SPM
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Brad, I am using a very powerful I7 computer, but I do use Dimension 4, and it must correct the time almost continuously to keep the clock correct. The clock will jump 30 seconds off if I don't let Dimension 4 do rapid corrections. The strange thing is that the computer will jump 30 seconds, and then stay there until I force a manual correction. I am seeing this on two computers., and this is another distressing problem that I have no clue how to solve. This must have some connection to the drift that I see in JT65-HF
  • W5UN_Dave
    W5UN_Dave Member ✭✭
    edited February 2019
    JT65-HF drift problem solved. It was related to letting Dimension 4 update the computer clock every few seconds. By backing off on the time correction interval, the drift problem went away. I will see if the clock jump problem returns, so far, so good.
  • Brad - N6SPM
    Brad - N6SPM Member
    edited June 2014
    Thanks Dave. Guess I won't try moving to my gaming machine after all :-) Still unclear why Dimension 4 and JT-65HF work fine (virtually no drift) if SmartSDR is not running? BTW, I get exactly the same behavior you describe in this most recent post. 73

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.