Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

JT65 and the Flex 6000s

Drax
Drax Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Would someone please post or email me a screenshot of what their SmartSDR panadapter looks like while transmitting with JT65-HF?  I'm trying to diagnose an issue and I can't tell if mine is normal.

Answers

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Drax,
      Here is what my JT65 ( WSJT-X ) tx spectrum looks like

AL, K0VM
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Here's mine, in a virtual Windows 8.1 machine running on a Mac Pro, using a Signalink USB for audio. image
  • Drax
    Drax Member
    edited April 2014
    Thanks guys
  • Norm S
    Norm S Member
    edited April 2014
    I'm not positive if this is your answer but:   If your using DAX, make sure you have DAX selected on the p/cw tab of SmartSDR, otherwise you will only key up the transmitter and will not be sending out data from the DAX source and the transmit waterfall will look just like the one you attached.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited June 2020
    Also, I have accidentally attempted to transmit JT9 in the upper part of the area used for JT65/JT9, say at 14.076+3500, and I've forgotten to expand my transmit filter to encompass the signal. Since everything is digital with DAX, ALL of the energy is outside the filter and it will look like you are transmitting nothing (because you are not). So don't forget to be sure your TX filter includes where you want to transmit. George, you should give DAX a try then you won't have to use that SignalLink!
  • Tom
    Tom Member ✭✭
    edited April 2014
    I had similar situation like Steve, receiving well JT9 but no transmission and finally after some time I came across to TX filter.

I dont know if anyone suggested before....but would be very usefull to incorporate TX filters to be part of user-defined profile schemes (together with other elements like RX filters, AGC, APF and other useful items).

For example for JT work I would like to have:

1. TX filter 100-4000 Hz (because of JT9)
    2. RX filter 0-4000 Hz
    3. USB mode
    4. DAX channel x on
    5. AGC off
    6. Power level xy W
    7. Antenna xy
    8. etc..
    9. etc..

So users can define and save number of parameters for different situations (phone ragchewing, phone DX, CW, split work combinations, different digital modes, etc..) that could be invoked simply with the choice of stored profile.

If I remember well the roadmap, profiles are planned for one of future releases.

Maybe experienced users of legacy Flex models or other SDRs are familiar with the concept of profiles but for me as newcomer to SDR world its not that obvious so I think it could be useful if Flex presents us concept of profiles beforehand so we can come up with some ideas or wishes before the end of development.

User profiles could be area where definition of concept (and exhaustiveness of parameters) is more demanding than code development itself that should be relatively simple and straightforward.

Rgds,

Tom, 9A6TKS 

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    When I was using Parallels or VM this display was similar to the type of display I was getting running PSK and for that reason I gave up on the MAC running a VM for the digital modes.  I was using DAX.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Don't think there's anything amiss in my output - check the vertical axis - it's highly magnified. DAX is tricky from the VM. When I used a Windows PC, it did work very well, indeed.image Here's a screen grab with close to Al's scaling.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    DAX takes a just little bit of effort to configure all of the different audio I/O lines to 16 bit-48,000 samples, etc.  But once done, it is awesome!  Clean audio and it is nice to go without all of the cables!  I am now able to jump to RTTY, PSK31, and other Digi modes almost as easy as I do CW & SSB.  In fact I have usually gotten just as many Digi mode contacts on the W1AW/p operations as I do the more traditional modes!  

Lovin' that new 6500!
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    These were the two images taken from an iMac running Parallels.  The first image I captured was using the US Navigator and the second image was using DAX, no Navigator.

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    Don - intriguing -- how did you configure Parallels? Is your JT65 software running on the Windows side, or the Mac side? I'm using the VM for Flex apps only - the JT65 software is on the Mac side. 

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    George

Because of the issue shown I decided to run JT65 on the PC.  I also attempted this using VMware and I got the somewhat similar results.  I don't think this was RF related.  I had no issues on cw nor ssb.  What configuration info are you looking for?
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Thanks, Don. Our experiences are similar. I'm using Mac software for JT65, and am okay with the less than "perfect" signal. Without the amazing Flex panadapter, I doubt we would notice any real-life difference between any of the displayed waveforms. See you on the radio!
  • Clay Abrams
    Clay Abrams Member
    edited April 2014
    I have had my 6700 a short time but have had excellent results running JT-65. I have been running JT-65 using a Flex 1500 and then a 3000 for some time. My only disappointment is with the 6700 is that I cannot select the MON function to hear the audio I am transmitting. The MON selection is "gray" when transmitting DIGU audio. With the 3000 and 1500 I could always hear what I am transmitting. I know the audio sound of JT-65 so well I can easily diagnose if I have a problem.

A request to the software development team. "Make the MON function work with the DIGU.audio function." Thanks guys!

Clay K6AEP

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.