JT65 vs JT65-X

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago

I’ll be taking some time off over the holidays and I want to devote some of that time to operating JT65 on HF, primarily on 160. I’ve installed it, but have not yet done any serious operating. I see that we have JT65 and JT65-X. I’m confused, are these two distinctly different modes? For HF operation, which is more common?

Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas!
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 475 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Bob

Bob

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Do you mean JT-65 software vs WSJT-X software.  WSJT-X will allow you to work both JT-65 and JT-9 modes.  Very nice software.

Good luck and have fun.
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 974 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
By all means try out all versions of WSJT, as all are free software.
I use WSJT-X, as I like JT9 mode and WSJT-X is by far the most advanced and
updated software for WSJT modes. The newest version is 1.6.0:
http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx.html

Merry Christmas, Alex DH2ID
Photo of DrTeeth

DrTeeth

• 1687 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
I'd use WSJT-X as the codecs are continually being updated for all the modes. The latest thrust is improving JT65 codecs for HF use. Personally, I use the dev builds that I build/compile using JTSDK. If I can do it, anybody can.

Merry Christmas.
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1664 Posts
  • 612 Reply Likes
There is no mode "JTX." There are several applications that support the various JT modes (WSPR, JT4, JT9, JT65, JTMSK, etc.) that are in various states of development. The first widely popular JT65 app was JT65-HF, by W6CQZ. Although no longer in development, it spawned several variations in Europe, all of which use basically the same structure. WSJT, K1JT's effort originally aimed at EME users, has grown to version 10, but has lately been superseded (at least for HF) by the WSJTX branch. WSJTX is under extremely active development, and is where new modes and improved decoding are being tested. The latest release version is 1.6, with development in 1.7. Note that 1.7 is not beta software - it is active developer code. Although some use it for testing more esoteric modes, it is not intended for general release at this time.

JT65 is the most popular JT mode for HF, and is supported by all of the variants. JT9 is only found in WSJTX, but is also quite popular - and has a slight signal benefit compared to JT65. The new decoder in WSJTX looks like a big improvement compared to any predecessor application, and the "fast" modes under development will allow full JT contacts in less than a minute. I'd say it's the one to watch. Get your feet wet with 1.6 and you'll be good to go. No slight intended to the other apps out there - they are all quite good! In fact, the JT65-HF variations often decoded better than WSJTX until version 1.6. If you prefer their look and feel, you will be quite pleased with the mode, I'm sure.

Welcome aboard - drop me a note if you need any configuration support you can't find here through a search.

Geo
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 571 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
VK6IR is on jt65 and jt9 on 160m...maybe you'll catch him?  I bet you'll like JT modes on top band.  It's pretty neat to make a QSO with somebody you can't even hear, much less copy, on cw...JA's can use
JT-9 up around 1910, also, i think..( never mind it takes 5 mins for a qso, though )..i see new england guys
working Eu on PSKReporter, too..

DAX does make it easy; I use DxLab commander also, and it all works together nicely, and with very little programming skill or effort...commodities in short supply in my shack, ha!

73, good luck, w5xz, dan
Photo of Steve Gw0gei

Steve Gw0gei

• 193 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Hi Dan
I have used wsjt on 2m 4m and 6m but infrequently - usually when I am bored and no Es about.

I have recently moved my logging to dx suite commander and I fancy trying wsjtx latest 1.6 this holiday. How does it integrate with dx suite log keeper and do I need any middleware or do you just import the qsos after each contact or session?

I like 160m dx in the winter time so looking forward to playing with the latest software this holiday.

Steve gw0gei / gw9j
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 571 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
steve, i THINK JTAlert does the linking to DXKeeper...along with some other cool stuff..but, i'm no expert.

btw, your neighbor, gw3ydx, was one of the only 3 sigs readable from Eu in the arrl 160m test at my QTH...usually there are a dozen or more good sigs from Eu, but not this year..

also, VP8ALJ has been on from the Falklands on jt65; nobobdy has gotten a QSL yet, though...;-(..

73, MX, dan, w5xz
Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 528 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
WSJT-X now features a much better decoder than earlier versions. You might also want to download JTALERTX. This software is a bridge to several logging programs. I use LOG4OM, so at the completion of the JT contact the call is logged. JTALERTX also provides an indication that the station has been previously worked. There is a good amount of activity on 160 these days.
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 475 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
That's great to learn that it integrates with LOG4OM. So much better than HRD. Now you got me motivated! Thanks
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3755 Posts
  • 1617 Reply Likes
JTAlert also integrates to HRD
Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 679 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
It also integrates with DXLab.
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 448 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
> It's pretty neat to make a QSO with somebody you can't even hear, much less copy

I understand what you are saying here Dan, but I have to admit that I blew my morning coffee out my nose when reading it. 

W7NGA  dan
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 571 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
ha!  yeah, dan, i know...'best QSO you never heard' or 'thats not a REAL contact, ya know..'...just don't say that to the moonbounce guys..

top band has been tough this season, so it's nice to know its open a tiny bit, if I release the software demons ( forward error correction, i think )

73, merry christmas
Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 527 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Worked several new countries on top band earlier in the month, but conditions seem down lately. On the other hand 40 meters in the morning is wonderful to the Pacific rim.
Photo of Peter K1PGV

Peter K1PGV, Elmer

• 551 Posts
  • 321 Reply Likes
Thanks to WA2SQQ for posting this question!... And for the answers!

I haven't used WSJT for years, was wondering the exact same thing myself just yesterday: What's the difference between these "new" programs, which should I use, and does it talk to DxKeeper and/or Commander?"

Thanks for the question and the provided information!

Peter
K1PGV
Photo of WA2SQQ

WA2SQQ

• 475 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes
Ok, so last night I got it working. I watched a few YouTube videos which introduces another uncertainty. From what I read, JT65 uses a very narrow band technology. Two of the YouTube video suggest using a 4 kHz receive BW, "so you can receive all 4 kHz at one time. ". Isn't jt65 using a single freq with narrow BW. So what should the BW be set to? And it also appears that regardless of the band, you use USB.
Photo of Alex - DH2ID

Alex - DH2ID, Elmer

• 974 Posts
  • 180 Reply Likes
DIGU and slice bandwidth 5kHz, AGC off or fast.
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1664 Posts
  • 612 Reply Likes
The idea using the wider receive bandwidth is to allow for a waterfall spanning the very tiny JT "sub-band" of about 4 kHz (split between JT65 and JT9). The software takes care of figuring out the various signals which you're right, are very narrow. USB on all bands - use the DIGU setting in SSDR to remove transmit EQ. 
Enjoy!
Photo of Bill W2PKY

Bill W2PKY

• 528 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
The decoder can scan the received audio bandwidth and find all the stations. Seems on the FLEX radios almost any AGC-T setting provides the same number of stations decoded. The Noise Blanker will of course provide more decodes if there is noise on the band. When trying to complete a weak station contact I have tried narrowing the bandwidth to the station of interest. Not much of an improvement. This strategy can be helpful if there are very very strong stations in the 4Kc passband keying your AGC. Finally, Hamspots and PSKREPORTER are cooperating applications so if transmitting you can see who heard your transmissions. JTALERTX can send spots to Hamspots so you can see what you have heard over time. This is a very addictive mode and there is usually activity on any band that is open to your region.