Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

JT65 setup

KC0EM
KC0EM Member ✭✭

Hi,

I have a new computer and a new 6300 – not that I wanted to get them, but it’s a long story. I am trying to get JT 65 up and running. When I am trying to set up CAT with version 1.4.0 r 5189 of JT 65 I get an error message that reads “WSJT-X Rig failure” and investigating further shows a Hamlib error that reads ”IO error while opening connection to rig.” The computer running Windows 8.1 shows that it recognizes ports 4 and 14 as belonging to the Flex radio. The Flex CAT Port Map shows COM 4 as UNKNOWN and COM 14 as CAT. Going back to the new version of the JT 65 program, I have selected the rig as “Flex 6xxx” the COM port as 4. I selected the CAT button as well.

I suspect whatever I am doing wrong revolves around the JT 65 program. Can anyone offer any help?

“VC” KC0EM

Answers

• David Altekruse
    edited August 2017
    What version of WSJT are you using?  I have the 6300 and am running WSJT-X v1.4.0-rc4 which was suppose to fix a problem with the Flex 6000 CAT option.  I couldn't get CAT control to work either and got the same error you did.  However, I didn't try very hard nor did I try other transceiver models.  WSJT-X does just about everything I need using VOX and no CAT control.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Set up a dedicated COM port for JT65 - SmartCAT is misleading in that it says one should use a particular COM port (4 in my case).

You will have to use either the TS 2000 rig or the TS 480 rig. I am using a dev version of 1.5 ATM.

Above is a config screen of how I got things working. IIRC it is from v1.4.

Good luck.
  • Larry Loen  WO7R
    Larry Loen WO7R Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I did what Guy does.  This prevents conflicts between WSJT-X and other programs (in my case, MixW2).  It works fine.  MixW2 uses CAT for PTT and the two coexist nicely as long as I bring up MixW2 first.
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2019
    The Flex 6xxx support is not finished in WSJT-X, so it won't work. It's a HamLib issue, I believe.
    You can (and should) use TS-2000 for your CAT control protocol. Works like a champ. Including PTT.

• Andrew O'Brien
    Andrew O'Brien Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Or configure your Flex to use Commander and then select Commander in WSJTX
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    That is an option.
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016

That is interesting as the rig I had been using was  a TS 480. I will give it a try. Thanks.

• KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Thank you!
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I am glad there is an easy solution. Thanks!
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I knew there had to be answers out there.
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I want to thank everyone for all their help. JT65 is now up and running. 73!
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I am using  1.4.3.132.
  • David Altekruse
    edited May 2015
    KC0EM:

Congratulations on getting JT65 up and running.  I still can't get WSJT-X (v1.4.0-rc4) to pass the CAT Test. I always get Rig Failure.  If you have a chance, could you summarize your WSJT-X settings and specifically what you did in SmartSDR CAT?  (My current settings are Kenwood TS-2000, COM6, 9600 Baud, Eight Data bits, Two Stop bits, No handshake, Mode: None, Split: None.)

73, David

• George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    David, that version should be updated to either the final 1.4 or 1.5 rc1. Should fix you up right away.
  • KC0EM
    KC0EM Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019

David,

imageimage
  • David Altekruse
    edited May 2015
    Thanks, George.  I updated to 1.5-rc1 per your suggestion.  First I tried FlexRadio 6xxx.  I left CAT Control Network Server blank (which it said I should do for a "sensible default").  That did not pass the CAT Test.  I don't know what else to put in the Network Server field.  

Then I tried the Kenwood TS-2000 Rig but I couldn't get that to work either.  Perhaps I'm not setting up CAT correctly.  I probably should understand CAT better.  
  • David Altekruse
    edited May 2015
    Thanks.  I sent mine up exactly like what you have above but still no luck.  I suspect I'm not setting up CAT correctly.
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    David

The FlexRadio 6xxx option in WSJT-X has never worked yet.

Kenwood TS-2000 should work with with 1.5-rc1 though.

Can you post a screenshot of this panel?
    It would also be nice to know if your using, or planning to use DDUtil.
    No need to use my settings, I just need to know what your settings are first.
    73 Jay - NO5J
  • David Altekruse
    edited May 2015
    It appears it works now.  Apparently after I set up SmartCat I shut it down.  Very **** of me.   I can now XMIT via PTT and set radio Frequency from WSJT-X.   Does anybody use split operation with WSJT?  Is there any advantage doing that with FlexRadio?

Thank you for your help!
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    David
    No Advantage I've found so far, you can widen your passband out as far as you want/need to for WSJTX so you don't need it. Split is more for rigs that cant change their passband width.
    73 Jay - NO5J
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It's mainly used to keep your TX locked between AF 1500Hz - 2000Hz. to avoid harmonics on your transmit signal. I'm not sure if that's even an issue with SmartSDR.
    73 Jay - NO5J

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.