Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Joe Taylor K1JT hints at next generation of digital modes

Stu      2E0XXO
Stu 2E0XXO Member ✭✭
edited January 2020 in Third-Party Software
This was taken from an excellent blog by EI7GL.

It would be interesting to hear how; if at all,l it will impact Flex users.
And importantly, how will it be interpreted by potential Flex customers like me.
I do not fully understand  flex architecture.
Would be great to hear this discussed....

"In a recent short talk at the amateur radio show in Friedrichshafen, Germany, Joe Taylor K1JT gave a hint of a new digital mode in the pipeline.
This will use the I and Q output of a SDR transceiver for receiving and sending the signals and over a wider bandwidth. This will be a major departure for the current suite as it will not be compatible with superhet transceivers."

Stu
2E0XXO

Answers

• John - AI4FR
    John - AI4FR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Sounds interesting. I'll have to find that Blog. It also sounds like it'll be a very wide mode which may be the reason legacy transceivers can not handle it.
  • tparish
    tparish Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Well this is something I am keen to learn about! Fascinating trend.
  • Stu      2E0XXO
    Stu 2E0XXO Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    here the blog and the video is there too.
    interesting times ...

https://ei7gl.blogspot.com/

• Michael N3LI
    Michael N3LI Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    It's the I and Q portions that will give them trouble. 
  • Martin AA6E
    Martin AA6E Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Interesting. Well, of course it's quite possible to use broad bandwidth with analog methods. It's just easier and cheaper to make radios with SDR technology now. I and Q outputs, whether analog or digital, are needed if you want to preserve phase information. E.g. separating positive and negative IF frequencies. Fortunately, Flex gives us I/Q through DAX so we're well set for wideband WWSJT or whatever. (On receive but not transmit) What's not so clear is whether there would be FCC support for >3 kHz WB modes on any bands below 450 MHz - unless you're an AM or ESSB op. :) 73 Martin AA6E
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    We are so lucky to have someone with Joe's experience and passion as a member of the Amateur Radio community. I can't wait to see what he and his team come up with for us next.
    What a great time to be a ham.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Joe Taylor K1JT hints at next generation of digital modes

One of the huge developments in Amateur radio over the last few years have the development of digital modes like FT8. The software (WSJT-X) for these modes uses the sound card in a PC to decode and encode these digital signals.

Up to now, this approach allows it to be used with standard superhet transceivers.
    In a recent short talk at the amateur radio show in Friedrichshafen, Germany, Joe Taylor K1JT gave a hint of a new digital mode in the pipeline.

This will use the I and Q output of a SDR transceiver for receiving and sending the signals and over a wider bandwidth. This will be a major departure for the current suite as it will not be compatible with superhet transceivers.

By John, EI7GL https://ei7gl.blogspot.com/

• Stu      2E0XXO
    Stu 2E0XXO Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    has anyone heard anymore of this new mode ?
  • N2WQ
    N2WQ Member
    edited October 2019
    Both the CW and RTTY skimmer servers use the IQ data, not the audio stream. So the concept by itself is no new.
  • Stu      2E0XXO
    Stu 2E0XXO Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    ok thats great, but any news of the actual mode/bandwidth itself ?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.