Its just too easy...

• Praise
  • Updated 2 years ago
In a short span tonight on CW on 40m I managed to bag with my little loop and 2K amp:

5C24KD
S50R
CE2AWW

And a few others...

Each time I watched for a short time, found the best place to TX, made the call and in most cases the remote came right back to me usually on the first call.

In all my hamming years I've never had a system/antenna/setup this good.  I can't even imagine what you people with the massive beams feel...

My little 80m loop is just 40 feet off the ground.  It's shaped kinda funny but man does it ever seem to work.  

The 2K-FA was one of the best purchases I've made in some time.  It doesn't even breath hard with full power on CW.

I'm not a super DX chaser but this could get me hooked.

Thanks FRS!
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1335 Posts
  • 501 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 157 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Ok.. Entice me... Show me pictures of the antenna :)
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1335 Posts
  • 501 Reply Likes
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1335 Posts
  • 501 Reply Likes
I'll try to take a few pix tomorrow and post 'em
Photo of Reggie

Reggie

• 93 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
What are the size of your monitors?
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1335 Posts
  • 501 Reply Likes
Hi Reggie, I right now use two 29" fairly cheap LED IPS monitors from Acer.
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 795 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
Mark - just curious, did you consider waiting for the PowerGenious XL amp? 
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1335 Posts
  • 501 Reply Likes
I seriously considered it and after it comes out I might still trade up.

I got close to $1000 off the price of this brand new 2K-FA.  That brought it close to $1995 less than I'd pay for the PG so I could not turn it down.

Being a software and computer guy getting the 2K FA to be almost 100% remote was not too hard.

I took a look at my operating habits.  These days I don't have much time.  But I have three primary ways I like to operate:

1) At my shack computer.  Here full control of the amp is easy over USB using the console program provided free by SPE.

2) Work.  Again with some tools (VirtualHere) and raspberry Pi home controller I have full control of everything from work.

3) Traveling - PC.  I carry a laptop everywhere I go.  If the networking is reasonable I can run everything just like I am at work.  If not then I have a webpage hosted by the raspberry Pi that lets me simply turn the amp on or off.  I have it configured to come up in online mode.

So in this "worst case" scenario I don't have full control of the amp but I can use it.  And quite frankly if the networking is this bad then I have trouble running SSDR anyway.

So I am watching carefully for the experiences with the PG and after its been out a bit I'll re-evaluate.  But so far it will have to be SPECTACULAR for me to change.