Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Island Setup - Maestro with a Touch Screen ToughBook

Steve K9ZW
Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
edited January 2019 in New Ideas

Here is a quick shot of what I am working on for the Washington Island - Wisconsin QTH's portable operating position.

This is what I will be able to operate from (adding a headset & PTT in many cases) from anywhere I connect with my wireless system there.

Paired with the Maestro is a Touchscreen Toughbook laptop to do logging and other site-mobility chores.  They will be wireless to the new Flex-6700.

For activation of smaller islands the Maestro & Flex-6700 will stay behind, with the Flex-6300 then being paired with the Toughbook via SmartSDR for Windows.

Still to come is a mobilization preparation of the Flex-6300 to keep everything needed together and protect it from some level of adverse weather while out on the smaller islands.

Steve K9ZW

Comments

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Very cool Steve
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I've always wanted a Toughbook! Which model is that? Never mind...zoomed in and see it is a CF-30.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

These are available refurbished under $300 with licensed operating system from Toughbook Tech.

Built strong enough to be a aircraft wheel-chock!

Ruggedized touchscreen does better with the stylus than finger jabs, which is a contrast to the Maestro touch screen sensitivity.

Steve K9ZW

• Bernie W7DMC
    Bernie W7DMC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Great setup. Hope to get on some islands out this way this summer. Antennas ?

• Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Hi Bernie W7DMC

I have choices there. Typically I have been using a SteppIR CrankIR with the Flex-6300 for island activations other than the main island.  I have several other portable antenna options.  Depends on what Island access I'm allowed (full setup on the activated Island or using one of the US Island Programs alternative rules when not allowed to completely disembark. http://www.usislands.org I think is the URL.)

On Washington Island itself I have a proper antenna farm in the works.  As I am rethinking this whole setup I'll offer that you can follow the progress at http://k9zw.wordpress.com   

Steve
    K9ZW

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.