Is there any reason the 6000 series radio should not be ran 24/7???

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
Photo of John n0snx

John n0snx

• 229 Posts
  • 54 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Richard Clafton W4/G7EIX

Richard Clafton W4/G7EIX, Elmer

• 455 Posts
  • 117 Reply Likes
I have been running my 6500 24/7 now for well over 10 days on this cycle.   When I am not using it for SSB I leave it running on WSPR, or monitoring 6m.     The only time I have rebooted the box (not powered off for any extended period) is when there are updates, or I lose connection due to me messing with the network.

I have experienced no issues due to running these extended periods.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 8496 Posts
  • 3179 Reply Likes
None what so ever. I use one of the first 6700s ever made and it has run 7x24x365 since early January 2013
Photo of Robert -- N5IKD

Robert -- N5IKD, Elmer

• 488 Posts
  • 152 Reply Likes
I disconnect mine from antennas, power, and Ethernet when lightening storms come through.

A few months ago after a lightening storm came through I had to add an Ethernet card to my computer and replace an Ethernet switch. I was glad the radio had been unplugged.
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1637 Posts
  • 554 Reply Likes
Thunderstorms are a major concern here in the Atlanta area and worse in other places. One reason I added a fiber link for the 6700. And why I have to shut down the radio when ever it is unattended. WAN remote may not be a good option for those of us with thunderstorm concerns. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 472 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
I *should* unplug mine during a lightning storm (I live in NC) but usually when I realize lightning is here, there's no way I'm touching that antenna connector (er, lightning rod). Not worth the risk, even knowing what I paid for it. But if it ever does get cooked, I'll be very sad.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3383 Posts
  • 1280 Reply Likes
I run remote much of the time so my 6700 runs 24/7/365 since 2013 with reboots only for software updates
Photo of Paul Christensen, W9AC

Paul Christensen, W9AC, Elmer

• 312 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes

Like a PC that runs 24/7, you may need to clean the inside a bit more often and perhaps the fans may need replacement sooner.  But keeping it clean inside will help. 

I use compressed air from an eight gallon DeWalt compressor together with an OSHA approved air nozzle.  Set the output pressure for ~40 lbs/ then regulate the air pressure to sensitive cabinet areas by backing off a bit on the nozzle distance.  Don't use any imported air nozzle.  The OSHA nozzles have a pair of openings at right angles to the main air outlet.  If the outlet is obstructed for any reason, the side openings will safely port the air out.   

Cover removal is easy on the Flex 6000 series.  But before you do, purchase a Torx T8 x 60mm hand wrench.  You'll need it to remove the cabinet screws.  I really like Flex's choice of Torx  hardware.  It's almost impossible to mar the screw heads since the Torx uses a positive drive head with no means for slippage.

Paul, W9AC

Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 472 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
I leave mine on 24/7 but I do power cycle it once every few weeks or so. I think it is more of a problem with my router than anything, although since I've discovered a router config problem along with a defective monitor power brick causing RF havoc, maybe the problems were external and not with the Flex. Things are looking up... :)