Is there a way to get a voice keyer running through DAX. I am using N3JFP software

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
I want to get a voice keyer running. I do not have a voice keyer was hoping to pump it in from PC through DAX

Anyone ever accomplished this

Mike
N9DFD
Photo of Mike Hoing

Mike Hoing

• 281 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of on5po

on5po

• 112 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hello Mick,
I tried, without result, I bought a LOGITALKER, that functions very well 
73,ON5PO, Janny
Photo of Neil K2NF

Neil K2NF

• 25 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have the voice keyer ( DVK ) in Logger32 interfaced to my 6300 using CAT PTT and DAX Audio TX1. Works very well. Not sure of relevance to N3JFP software / setup however
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Official Response
The only way currently to do it with N3FJP is with a cable from your sound card because it won't access the virtual sound cards.  But other programs, such as N1MM, Log4OM which can access "other" sound cards and virtual cards will work.  I have done it with N1MM.

BTW... K9DUR has a utility called Voice Keyer that works just fine all by itself..

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Jim Crisman

Jim Crisman

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Ken
I have a Flex 6300 and I am trying to connect it to the N3FJP logging software to read frequency, band, mode, etc. data.  Do I connect it to SmartSDR Cat or DDUtil or what?  Any help would be appreciated.

Jim Crisman
N9AJV
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
Many ops use DDUtil to send one SMart CAT port to all of their devices.
I have found it easier, since I don't have a SteppIR Antenna  or fancy amplifier, simply to use CAT.

You need to have a CAT port defined, and linked to Slice 'A'  like the picture I post below.

Use whatever COM port number you like for the Client COM:
The usual pattern is to make the CAT COM port number +100 of that port - i.e. ports 7 and 107.
These represent two "ends" of the serial cable - one for the rig (CAT COM #107), and the other for your outboard software such as ACLog, FLLDigi, N1MM+, etc.  this would be Client com #7.

NOW.  In ACLog, or other N3FJP programs, open the "Settngs > Rig interface" tab.

Under "Select Rig"  I use Kenwood2, which is the CAT language for the Kenwood 2000, a common standard that FRS also uses as the base language for it's CAT.

Then for "COM Port:"  Select the port you defined in SSDR CAT for Cleint COM:  (In my illustration it is COM Port # 7.)  

Don't use the higher number that you defined (or the rig defined automatically for you) of 107.  This is the Flex-6300's end of the virtual cable.

Before closing the screen by hitting "Done" at the bottom, you might want to hith "Test" to see if it gets a response from the rig.

Then when you hit "Done" you should be all set.

If you want to use DDUtil, then you would connect to DDUtil via the TCP Port, and then use virtual serial ports to connect from DDUtil to the ACLog.  If you need all of that functionality, you can do that.  But I recommend that people new to computer interfacing start with one step first and get it working, then expand to more complicated setups.

I hope this helps.
Good Luck!

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Rev. David E. Hamm, K4EET

Rev. David E. Hamm, K4EET

• 83 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
To Ken, NM9P,

Ken, I plan to contact Scott Davis, N3FJP, the author of the N3FJP logging and contest programs. Since N1MM will work with virtual sound cards and I have N1MM on my computer as well as N3FJP software, what exactly are the parameters to set up voice keying with N1MM? I tried with N1MM Classic and Plus and so far have not been successful. Since you have it working, I know my problem must be "cockpit error." Once I have voice keying working with N1MM Plus (preferably), I will contact Scott, N3FJP, on his developmental software Yahoo Group to see if he would be interested in getting his software to do what N1MM apparently can already do. I just need to thoroughly understand the N1MM Plus setup in order to explain what we need the N3FJP software suite to do for the FLEX 6000 series radios. I have the FLEX 6500 radio. Thanks in advance for your time and assistance! 73, Dave Hamm, K4EET
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
I had to work with N1MM+ long enough to understand what it is doing before I could get it to work on Voice Keyer.  There are two different voice modes/interfaces.  One I can get to work OK.  The other causes slowed-down robotic audio with latency pauses mid-syllable.  (quite frustrating.)  I have not figured out how to record from the rig microphone.  I currently record on my computer using Audacity and then transfer the .wav files to the proper directory in N1MM+

I am not in the shack right now, so I can't remember which settings worked.  I will try to get a look later.  But with the Holiday Busy-ness, I may not be able to get to it real soon.

RE: N3FJP.... He has some good software, and I still use ACLog.  But I have shifted my contesting software over to N1MM+.

N3FJP's software WILL do Voice Keyer stuff.  BUT, it is designed to use the regular sound card outputs with hard wiring.  At this point he has not programmed into it the ability to use virtual audio interfaces like DAX.  Nor will his software allow you to chose from multiple sound cards. This is a capability that I hope he will consider soon.  That is one reason I shifted to N1MM+...because I could not interface the DAX channels for Voice Keying.
Photo of Rev. David E. Hamm, K4EET

Rev. David E. Hamm, K4EET

• 83 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
No rush... Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! 73, Dave Hamm, K4EET
Photo of Mal G3PDH

Mal G3PDH

• 49 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Had no problem getting my original DVK files on N1MM+ working via DAX with a 6500. With the appropriate DAX channel selected for transmit and DAX selected as the input source it works fine. Just a bit of tweaking needed to set the levels. The original files were created using audacity and addressed as WAV files through the N1MM macros
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
The biggest frustration using DAX for Voice keyer with N1MM+ is that you currently use DAX input and VOX on your Mike at the same time. I don't know what may be added in future releases of SSDR. I hope that this is one of the new contesting features incorporated.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes