Is the 6500 a true 'full duplex' radio?

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
if my transmitting and receiving antennas are sufficiently well isolated, that is...i.e. will i be able to listen on 80m while i'm transmitting on 40m, for example ?

Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 562 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Steve - N5AC

Steve - N5AC, VP Engineering

• 998 Posts
  • 957 Reply Likes
Official Response
The radio hardware has some capabilities that you would consider full duplex. There are limits to what can or that you would want to do and we have not yet spent any time looking into this. For the immediate future, we are muting receivers when transmitting, but only when the transmit signal is on the air so the muting is a very narrow window. This allows for QSK operation on a separate antenna that is "almost full duplex." I think if you try it you will agree you get a significant amount of "program material" out of the receiver. For sideband, we mute all during the transmit (in the next version) to avoid issues with AGC being driven around by your transmit signal. Longer term, we may do more in the way of full duplex, but it will require some investigation and decisions about what makes sense for you and the radio. I know this is a little wishy-washy, but it's the situation at present.