Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is SmartCat part of SmartSDR? or a separate download?

W9OL
W9OL Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Pardon my confusion. I keep seeing mention of 'SMARTCAT'. While I have downloaded and installed the latest version of SmartSDR 0.13.10 and not seeing any mention of where I can dload SmartCat.... That this file is PART OF SMARTSDR? I did find a subfolder called "CAT" with a similar install date to SmartSDR. So is that the aformentioned SmartCat? I will NOT accept defaults with the next version of SmartSDR as I prefer all my ham programs to exist on D drive. Does anyone see a problem with this? pse and tu de W9OL

Answers

• K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Bill, SmartSDR CAT is a separate that provides CAT communication with the radio. It is installed when SmartSDR is installed & is set to start automatically when your computer is started. 73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    It's included with the installation of SmartSDR 0.13.10 and the installer is placed in the SmartSDR v0.13.10 program folder. So, you can run that installer and then change the install location to your preferred D drive location. From the Release Notes in v0.13.10 (Page 10) "The SmartSDR CAT setup file is copied to your PC for installation after SmartSDR for Windows has been installed. It can be found in the FlexRadio Systems -> SmartSDR v0.13.10 program folder that is accessible via the Windows Start button"
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Actually Richard's answer is most correct now. It used to be automatically installed with SmartSDR for Windows, but now it has to be manually installed due to the uninstall / reboot dependency to update the virtual com port drivers. Once installed, it will automatically start when your PC is booted.
  • K9DUR
    K9DUR Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Tim, thanks for the clarification. As usual, I am a bit behind the times....hi..hi. 73, Ray, K9DUR
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    I am a week behind most days, myself.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    I 'THINK' I understand...but I'm a tad confused about this. I start SmartSDR first. The Screens opens a Radio Setup window where I select my Flex and hit the 'Connect' button. And then I see the Cat icon in the taskbar Clicking on that button opens yet another windows called CAT Setup Ver 1.0.2.0 As far as I can see, non of the tabs seem to do anything. The 'MAIN' window seems to be able to list what radios are online but the window is blank. Thanks for your time. Bill
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    No problem Bill, Have you downloaded the user manual? http://support.flex-radio.com/Downloads.aspx?id=424 Check that document out, I am sure you will find all the answers you need - if not, come back here and we will endeavour to help you out and get you up and running.
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited October 2016
    Absolutely downloaded and went through the manual Which is why I'm having this problem. The manual shows in 3.2.1 the Cat setup I can NOT make my cat setup screen show the rig, serial # and IP address There is no entry main tab of the BLUE Cat Setup screen. Consequently I can not connect a com port to the 3rd party program
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    Can you create a dedicated FlexRadio virtual com port?
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited June 2020
    No! At least I don't think so. I can get DDuT v3 to report it's temp but not voltage. and it reports the 'Slices' As I said earlier. The Blue Cat Setup screen is empty. And now it won't come up at all. I now see that the CAT subdirectory is empty.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited March 2017
    This has nothing to do with DDUtil. If you open SmartSDR CAT there is a Serial Port tab. This is where you create ports. Can you create a dedicated port?
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited March 2017
    Nope. can't!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Before installing the latest version of CAT (1.1.3) did you manually uninstall it and reboot your PC as per the procedure in the CAT doc? It sounds like the virtual serial port driver is not loaded.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Bill, the radio has to be on to see the radio details in SDRCat. I did not see that mentioned anywhere. Good Luck
  • Bill-W9OL
    Bill-W9OL Member
    edited March 2017
    Finally got SDRCat working. After the 3rd attempt at installing, It finally worked. I have a virtual pair. 17<>27 PSDR is set to 17 and DDUT is set to 27 Obviously they both can't be running at the same time. So, my way of thinking, That should work??? Executing ZZFA reports the frequency of SmartFlexSDR correctly. Now how do I make it work the other way? LOL So it will agree with my logging program? Thanks to all those offering tips and help
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    Glad you got it up and running. Perseverance is key with anything new - all of a sudden it just falls into place. I know..i've been there! :-)
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Have you reviewed the DDUtil v3.0 doc? It is different than the older versions of DDUtil as there is not a CAT port that connects DDUtil to the radio.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.