Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is this normal? Spikes on TX

K1ESE
K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Is this normal?  Using my Flex 6500 and SmartSDR 1.6.1 and 4 watts output, the panadapter screen shows many spikes on the transmitted signal.  Here's 17m.

13 watts on 20 Meters on a finer scale -
It's similar on all bands, worse on 20m better on 80m, but there on all.

73 de K1ESE
John

Comments

• EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Maybe RF in the Radioshack?
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited July 2018
    Turn off the RF preamp.  You should never need it on 20m.  Once you do that, see what difference it makes to the spectrum display on transmit.
  • K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Tim -

Here's with the preamp off -
    73 de K1ESE
    John
  • Philip KA4KOE
    Philip KA4KOE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Mine does this on 40. Now I have to find the preamp.
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited July 2016
    preamp on 40m?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited May 2020
    John - based on the pic with the preamp turned off, I have changed this post to a problem topic and converted it to a support HelpDesk ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) for expedited issue resolution.  If anyone else is experiencing an issue similar to this one, please submit a HelpDesk support ticket for issue resolution.
  • Lawrence Gray
    Lawrence Gray Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    I have recently noticed the same issue on my 6500.  I think it may have started when I turned on mic bias in order to use a new headset, but I'm not sure.

I will submit a Helpdesk ticket.

Larry, KC1DAD

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    Not the same issue.  The spectrum is different; it should not look like that on CW / TUNE.
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Sorry Tim - my mistake. Back to the bottom of the Elmer promotion list.

Anyway I tried to duplicate and with 10 watts into dummy load @ 14.010Mc see similar results.  The grunge is 85 dB down though.

TiMimage
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited December 2016
    This is what mine looks like. 

• Wheelin Rev
    Wheelin Rev Member
    edited December 2016
    Tim, I'll open a HelpDesk ticket with four different ham band pictures, both CW and SSB, in the 10 watt tune position. Same thing... 73, Dave Hamm K4EET

Edit: Since the server is still down, I'll post the pictures here so you can see them sooner...

Firmware Version 1.7.30.78
  • K1ESE
    K1ESE Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Tim -

Thank you.  Dudley had me try a few things and now it's headed back to the mothership for repair.

73 de K1ESE
    John
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Mine looks like yours now Tim. Trying to determine what changed other than clock

Back to the top of the Elmer Promotion list for me!

k3Tim

time. image

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.