Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Is this conector I have to buy?

YV5WZ
YV5WZ Member ✭✭
Hello ....

I wonder if  this is the conector I have to buy to use my Heil Sound PR40 with the new Flex 6600
cause I have heard  jack is gonna be 1/4

Part Number acc-stx-310f

Thanks

George, YV5WZ / PY5ZZZ

Answers

• K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Looking at the pictures on the site, I don't see a 1/4" jack anywhere. Looks like 1/8".

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Flex announced a 1/4" jack for the 6600
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks Howard.....so....is it? right one?
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The answer is ... perhaps ... if it is wired correctly. Some cheap supply houses wire these connectors with the pin 1 (which is the chassis/shield on the XLR and the sleeve on the 1/4 TRS) shorted to the -mic (which is pin 3 on the XLR and the ring on the TRS). Others simply connect pin 1 to the sleeve and pin 2 to the tip and nothing to the ring. Still others connect pin 3 to the sleeve and pin 2 to the tip with nothing connected to the ring. All three methods unbalance the cable and negate much of the noise rejection properties of using a balanced cable. They may "work" but may be susceptible to RF and other noise pick-up. So, if you receive the cable and test it before hooking it up, there should be no continuity between the sleeve and ring. And all three pins should be brought out to the TRS connector. One alternate way that I have seen is to have all three wires connected properly on the TRS connector, but leave the pin 1 shield disconnected at the XLR connector. This "ground lift" connection is more common when connecting two pieces of audio equipment together. It maintains a ground over the twisted pair balanced cable, but can eliminate ground loops in certain equipment configurations. I don't know that it would matter for a Mic. Ken - NM9P
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Thanks Howard.....so....is it? right one?

Description:This high quality balanced audio cable is used to connect a 3-pin XLR balanced microphones, like the PR-781 or outboard audio equipment to the FLEX-6000 and FLEX-50000's 1/4" Balanced line level input. Note: this cable does not have a PTT interface.Features & Specifications:

XLR and 1/4" TRS connectors with internal strain relief for rugged reliability 
    Oxygen-Free Copper (OFC) conductors for enhanced signal clarity 
    Hi-density OFC braided shield for superior EMI and RFI rejection
    Conductor: 24 AWG x 2 OFC (90% OFC braid)
    Connector: 3-pin XLR (female) to 1/4" TRS plug (male)
    Length: 10 ft
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Hey Ken !!!

How are you?

Its taken from flexradio.com website

Best Regards

George
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Hi George! I missed that detail....too late at night...I would assume that if it is the Heil cable, or provided by Flex, that it is wired correctly.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Of course you will need a dedicated PTT line or use VOX. I use a footswitch and thumb switch wired together so I cannot either one.
  • Jay Spaulding
    Jay Spaulding Member
    edited December 2019
    Think that is the cable. But I personally don't care for the or-40. Better off with stock mic. Or a RE-27
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Hello Jay !!

I have had a Heil Sound PR40 with my 6300 during almost 2 years now.....received a lot of unsolicited good comments about my audio.....I'm only using EQ from SmartSDR,,,even ...I stored my EQ by W2IHY cause I Felt I didn't need it anymore....at least with flex....I had made plans to buy a RE-27....but not now.....however you lighted the idea on again

Cheers!!

George, YV5WZ / PY3ZZZ
  • Lee - N2LEE
    Lee - N2LEE Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Thank Goodness !

The 3.5mm (1/8") that was first announced was a huge mistake in my opinion. 
    I couldn't get over the fact that they would use such fragile consumer audio connector.

While I prefer an XLR, a TRS 1/4" phone jack is still a standard in the professional audio industry.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2017
    Yes

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.