Is there any compelling reason to have "both" a Maestro and a 6600M?

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
Additionally, I ordered the 6600M but travel a "lot" in a motor home, sometimes staying at hotels as well.
Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 105 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 138 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
It really comes down to whether you enjoy operating your Flex remotely via a Pad, laptop, or the Maestro.  Any of these will suffice for remote operation. 
Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 105 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Makes sense but... Is there anything the Maestro can do remotely that my laptop can't do?
(Edited)
Photo of WX7Y

WX7Y

• 490 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
Knobs
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1241 Posts
  • 646 Reply Likes
When I’m traveling I tend to take an iPad using SmartSDR for iOS.

My Maestros (I have one for each QTH) spend much of their time remoting to a radio elsewhere in the QTH, though I often have one on my desk at work using SmartLink to remote home.

How an M-model and a separate Maestro work together is presently you can use one or the other to access the radio. That will change, but what it will look like is in flux.

Steve
K9ZW
Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 138 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Not that I'm a where of, although the Maestro does have a string of jacks on the back which makes it convenient for connecting external speakers, key, line in, line out, two microphones, phones, PTT, etc.  I'm sure there's also a way to make these connections to a laptop, but not sure how convenient it would be.   Laptop users... weigh in!
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1054 Posts
  • 212 Reply Likes
I used my Maestro from a hotel way back before SmartLink existed. 

WiFi from laptop to my Verizon hotspot since hotel WiFi was crap. Ethernet from the Maestro to laptop. I used OpenVPN software to set up the laptop as a client back to the home network and bridge over to the Maestro. Worked great, had access to the radio, logging, auto tuner, amp, etc.

Today with SmartLink you would just use WiFi for Maestro to radio via SmartLink and the laptop back to the network using TeamViewer for remote desktop. You can alternately use a VPN server /client setup if you want to logging software and other software locally on the laptop remote.

The only thing you cannot do at this time is have the DAX audio outside of the local network, so for digital modes you would need to run the digital software on the home computer and access it via remote desktop.

Dave wo2x
Photo of Bill - W9KKN

Bill - W9KKN

• 9 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
At some point, multi-client support has been discussed...not sure if it's still in the works, but in theory, SO2R/4V would be really cool if not overwhelming.
Photo of Gary Johnson

Gary Johnson

• 104 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Isn't Multi-Client 2 operators on one radio??